Photo ID for guests

Sarah1448
Level 2
Tasmania, Australia

Photo ID for guests

Hi hosts, I had a booking request from a brand new guest (literally just created their account) therefore had no reviews and no profile photo. I sent a couple of really polite messages back and forth explaining that I am new to hosting and that I have never made a booking with a host who doesn't have a profile picture. I tried to prompt some answers i.e who was coming with the guest, the purpose for their stay etc but the guest said they did not want their photo on social media. In the end the guest offered to send me a copy of their drivers license as a form of ID, so I accepted the booking only for the guest to cancel it with the message 'I booked some where else without photo ID'. Am I being unreasonable? The guest knows what I look like from my profile picture and will be staying in our house that my husband and I ripped back to bare frame and completely renovated. I am feeling really disappointed as it was my first contact with a potential booking (the calendar isn't open for a couple of months as we have tenants living there at the moment)

Do I need to be a bit more leniant in the future? Has anyone else had a similar situation? Thanks in advance 🙂

8 Replies 8
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Sarah1448,

I rent a room in the house where I live and always insist that guests provide a profile photo showing their face. I presume that guests are happy to see the host's photo so, as Airbnb, ostensibly, works on trust they must be willing to at least send me a face photo even if they don't want to have one on their Airbnb profile.

If they don't have a face profile photo I send the following message.

Hello XXXX,
I welcome guests personally when they arrive.
So as I can recognise you and welcome you by name can I ask you to upload a face profile photo or to send one in a message or by email?
Sales people often call here so it's nice to be able to recognise guests immediately.
Steve.

I also send a message asking which person they are in the photo if the profile photo shows a group.

So far all have uploaded a face photo or sent me one. In one case I had to ask Airbnb support to contact the guest, which they did.

Steve.

Thanks for your reply Steve. I'm relieved to hear that other hosts require photo ID also. The guest said they were willing to send me a photo of their drivers license but it really did seem like it was a real issue for them. Obviously it was as the outcome was a cancelled booking!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Sarah1448. I totally agree with @Steve143.

I wrote this on a previous thread. It is of concern for many of the hosts, so you are not alone.

———

“No profile and no profile image = not in the spirit of the Airbnb community. 

- We are told to communicate to get the best match ups between hosts and guests.

- We are told to not take third party bookings... which cannot be known, when there is no facial image or government ID.

- We are told safety is important to Airbnb for its guests and hosts.

Therefore profile information, approved profile facial image and government ID verification are absolute basic safety requirements.

If a guest doesn’t want to comply, they can find a motel or hotel for their accommodation.

We ARE a community..”

———

I have just recently placed this as a requirement at the bottom of my house rules, to give leverage when a guest is not cooperative or forthcoming with ID or profile information. This way, if I’m not feeling good about it, I can contact Airbnb and let them know I’m uncomfortable and get them to cancel. I won’t cancel to effect my superhost status. A lazy guest is not worth it! 
I insisted on one person and they pulled out. Not my problem.... my home, my rules.... and I got another booking who was compliant! So win win...

Awesome, thanks so much Cathie! Good idea to update my listing with photo ID as a mandatory requirement before accepting any future bookings. The guest woud have been asked to upload a photo during the account set up process but maybe it is a choice and doesn't specify that it is a requirement? It's been  a while since I set up my account and I can't remember.

I did have my doubts from the very beggining but of course was eager to please and it was a decent booking ($ if you know what I mean) Oh well, let's hope I get a more compliant guest next time!

Thanks again, I've been worried that I was being unreasonable!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Your house, your rules.

Why would you doubt your desire not to have faceless strangers in your house?

Especially given that this is your first hosting.

Guest was being strange and vindictive She sent you her ID, THEN cancelled. Therefore, her reason for cancelling was bogus. 

You did good.

Well said @Paul154!

Thanks Paul 🙂

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

No, you don't need to be more lenient! As said above, not using a picture is not in the spirit of ABB and this person should look elsewhere. Some hosts may be fine with it, but as I offer a room in my home, I am not going to invite someone in who is unwilling to provide a picture.

I've had to request a guest upload a photo and it was no issue. They were just new and still figuring out the platform.