Private Room vs. Entire Place

Molly68
Level 2
Colfax, WA

Private Room vs. Entire Place

Hi I am thinking that I can actually list my basement as "Entire Place" because it is situated like a duplex with it's own entrance. The only exception is that there is a connecting exterior door I installed at the top of the stairs to segretate it that locks from the top floor. Do I still list it as "Private Room" because I live upstairs? What do you guys think?

8 Replies 8
Aogán0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Molly68,

We only ever rent 'entire place' listings when we travel. I'd be fairly happy with the basement, as it has its own entrance, but I would put in the listing the door at the top of the stairs, and make it clear tha it will never be used when guests are present. (I might prefer if it locked from both sides, to be honest.)

Really good advice! Seems silly I didn't think to add those details. I might try and figure out a lock from the other side. Thank you! Thank you!

@Molly68

If you have a way to lock from both sides like @Aogán0 mentions, I would think it can be considered an entire place. At hotels there are connecting rooms, but they are not seen as "shared" rooms - kind of the same thing~

Good point thank you!!!

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Molly68 Be careful to make sure people understand that you live there as well. Many guests want spaces entirely their own, they don't want the hosts there. You want to avoid any surprises, so I would definitely do my best to define the space available and the fact you also reside in the building.

Thanks Kate! Appreciate the advise!

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

Just put one of those hotel type security latches on the guest side of the door. Then they can latch it while there and you can lock your side. I'm using one of these on the space over my garage. I find that people tend to lock themselves out when there is one of those bedroom type door knobs with a thumb latch, bit with these they have to be inside to lock it.  I still have a keypad lock on the main door. 

IMG_0786.PNG

Thanks Annette! Ordered this and it is one it's way!! Easy fix!