Ratings flaw

Connie8
Level 1
Fayetteville, NC

Ratings flaw

The five star system is a good ratings method. However, it appears to have a generational flaw. For instance, older generations view a 3 as average which translates to "good". 4 is above average meaning better than good. And 5 is excellent and translates to a level not attained by all, but only a few exceptional folks that were able to achieve excellence. Younger generations see 5 as average and everything below it as "bad". There is no star or number to express better than average or exceptional, since everyone must feel "happy" and we wouldn't want to acknowledge that some things may provide more "happiness" than other things. Personally, if some guests think my location or neighborhood is normal and give me a 3, I would have to agree. The neighborhood is an average quiet neighborhood, nothing exceptional about the location. To millenials, the 3 stars are a tragedy. I ought to take offense and perhaps even need to get counseling in order to deal with the harsh reality of the "average" rating. Sorry, I don't think a 3 is the end of the world.

0 Replies 0