Refund and refunding via PayPal

Linda337
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Refund and refunding via PayPal

Hi All.

I haven't seen this particular question in the refund search I did so I apologize if it has been answered deep in the discussions.

Had a woman make a long-term reservation -- over 4 months -- so she could be near her mother who has Alz and is in a nursing home.  Well, her mother died before she was to arrive.  The client told me that ABB wants a death certificate from her.  I guess that is for them to give her a refund due to extenuating circumstances.

Here's the thing -- ABB notified me that they have deposited my portion of this first month cancellation policy.  I would like to give it (less the service fees) back to the client.  I have started the process at the Resolution Center but I see that they want to deduct it (basically charge) my credit card or bank account, etc.  My ABB money goes into PP and I would like it to come out of PP.  Is there a way I can do that?  Should I consider paying her out of our personal business account? 

As you can imagine, this involves a significant amount of money.  I understand ABB policy and that they want a death certificate.  I don't really care about that.  I know she blocked out my place for that amount of time and I'm not wild about that but I really don't want to take $1,600+ from her.  

Thanks for any help you can give!!

~linda

5 Replies 5
Linda337
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Update:  we have decided that we do need to keep a portion of that  money since our calendar was blocked out for a significant period of time.  Regardless, I would still like to know how/if this can be done through PayPal.

Thanks again.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Linda337 I would be very careful & be certain that ABB has decided what they will/won't refund FIRST. Certainly don't do anything outside of the avenues available to you thru ABB. You could end up refunding her something and then ABB comes back and refunds her more. Double & Triple check with ABB CS before you do ANYTHING!

Thank  you, Kelly. When I go to her Rez page , it says ABB gave her $6k back. Yiu are right. I need to be careful. My husband thinks we should keep this portion because our calendar was blocked off for so long, keeping other potential renters out,  

geeeeez. 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Linda337 don't do any refunding

Long term bookings are paid monthly by the guest, airbnb will have refunded the $1600 1st months rent. They will usually reclaim this payout from your future payments as a host if you've already had the payout, unfortunately I don't believe you'll get anying out of this booking.

Ethel54
Level 1
Costa Rica

Hi, I am having a similar issue. My guest booked and cancelled a long term stay. They cancelled it the same day but I still got a portion of the money.   
I would like to refund the guest using PayPal, not my personal credit card. Is there a way this can be done?  Somehow the PayPal option for this refund is not available...  Help please