Renting For Parties/Events

Answered!
Brandon331
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Renting For Parties/Events

Good morning Airbnb Community,

I hope this finds you well. I know this topic has possibly been done to death, but I'm new here and my attempts to find an answer were futile. I just have a question for the hosts and how they feel about renting for parties. 

The general impression I've gotten is that most hosts are terrified of parties (as they have the right to be.) There are many guests who would be completely negligent in the care of another's property, which is unfortunate. I write to you because next June for my birthday I'd like to rent a nice home with a pool for an old fashioned backyard BBQ/pool party in Los Angeles during the afternoon/early evening.

I'm in my early 30's and most of my friends are in the age range of 30-40. I'm not looking to host a WILD party complete with a bunch of decorations and drunks breaking things/making a mess. But more so 20-25 people stopping by to swim, eat some food, play some board/card games, dominoes and such. Nothing wild at all. I moved from LA 5 years ago and would just like a day with old friends in one space for old times sake.

In my mind the party would go from 12-9 and I'd rent it the day before the party for setup, the day of the party and the following day for cleanup for a total of three nights. 

Is this feasible? Am I wishing for something that no one would agree to or are there terms I could discuss with a few hosts to find someone willing to trust that I'd respect their space? I'm definitely willing to compensate for any troubles, it's just that I'd really like this to happen lol.

Let me know, thanks!

-Brandon

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

Please note that disruptive gatherings are prohibited, regardless of size. For more information about Airbnb's Anti-party policy, please click here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Paul6328
Level 1
Columbus, OH

I'm reviving this thread because we have an event space that is on the small side in Columbus, Ohio. While looking for an online platform to help market and book the space it I ran across Gaest.com which was acquired and absorbed into Airbnb. Gaest is no longer active and I'm wondering if anyone knows if they plan to roll out event/meeting space rental anytime soon?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Not as far as I know. Why don't you register with existing event platforms if you want to list your place as an events space @Paul6328 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul6328 

I know you posted this ages ago, but have you tried squarespace? They contacted me when they opened their London branch, but I believe they are primarily US based.

Sarah4792
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

Having a very nice location, I have had hundreds of requests for events - from small 10-15person weddings to the sort of thing you’re describing and more.
a) Imagine how my neighbours would feel if I had accepted even half of them… a party in the house next door EVERY weekend? We’d fall out for sure. Also, imagine if my neighbour came over to complain about your noisy laughter or started up the lawnmower or the weed trimmer all day, or during the speeches/vows of some important event. Imagine if they called noise control? Would you feel ripped off and ask for a refund? You think you’re the only one, but often hosts get asked constantly for event permission.
b) This is a commercial enterprise and often there are local government bylaws against it - in my residential area, that sort of activity is regarded as a home business and you are allowed a maximum of 20 car movements per day. That’s 10 cars arriving and leaving ONCE. And if you get warned once or twice (cos the understandably angry neighbour has complained to council) you then incur a fine! Commercial zones don’t have those restrictions, hence they are allowed to hold large gatherings there.
c) Residential houses are not built with commercial levels  of wear and tear in mind - and this is not charged to you on an Airbnb “rate”. Restaurants/event centres are and are often refurbished every 5 years or so. That is why they might charge 3x the night rate, PER HOUR. 

Hope this gives you a little more to think about. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sarah4792 

Very valid points. 

I would add that hosts considering accepting bookings for photo/film shoots should think about these issues too and certainly about wear and tear, numbers of people etc, as it's nothing like just having a couple or a small group of guests stay for a holiday. Believe me, I know this from experience! Airbnb is not the best platform for these kinds of things.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

Please note that disruptive gatherings are prohibited, regardless of size. For more information about Airbnb's Anti-party policy, please click here.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen