Retaliatory And Spiteful Reviews

Retaliatory And Spiteful Reviews

Long time superhost here. Overall, the platform has been working great for us, but we recently encountered a problem that has caused us a lot of stress. This is honest feedback, and I believe Airbnb and hosts are more successful when the platform is successful.

We have hosted hundred of reservations and thousands of guests. The vast majority of guests have good intentions. When there's a legitimate complaint, we do our best to make it right and voluntarily offer refunds when it is warranted.

But we believe there is a blind spot in Airbnb's review moderation policy that is hurting honest and diligent hosts like us, and holding the platform back a little from being better for everyone.

Airbnb's review moderation policy accounts for explicit extortion and quid pro quo on both sides. Unfortunately, as all experienced hosts know, hosts are sometimes held hostage to an implicit and unstated extortion by the occasional bad faith guest. This happened to us recently, and is causing us a lot of stress. It's unfairly affected our performance and we are concerned we may lose our superhost status, not to mention bookings, because of a couple of spiteful reviews that were unwarranted.

1) A savvy guest can implicitly threaten a negative review by signaling a trivial, petty or otherwise illegitimate complaint. The host will be obliged to offer a refund, even if it is unwarranted out of fear of retaliation (a bad review).

2) Hosts may be fearful of filing legitimate property damage claims due to retaliation or spiteful reviews since untruthful reviews are not moderated according to Airbnb's policy.

This situation may not be commonplace, but an unwarranted 1 star review with unqualified or untruthful comments can have a disproportionately negative impact on performance and take a long time to recover from.

In our case, we had two guests who damaged our property so we filed a claim. Literally within one minute of filing the claim, both guests submitted 1 star reviews and make untruthful claims in their reviews. These reviews are anomalous (we're superhosts for a reason) but they have a big impact on our performance. 

A couple of suggestions for @Airbnb to consider:

1) There should be exceptions in the moderation policy for demonstrably untruthful reviews. We are told that review moderators are only able to do a very narrow investigation and look only at the content of the review itself. They have no background or context regarding the reservation. Moderation should take a more comprehensive approach and have all the info before making a decision about moderation. This only seems fair.

2) Automatically suspend, or moderate, reviews for reservations where a property damage claim has been filed. Alternatively, give hosts more time to file claims. Currently, hosts are required to rush to file a claim before the next guest checks in, which in many cases could literally be a few minutes after the damage is reported, leaving no time to investigate properly or explore alternative options.

Thanks!

R&D

cc: @Airbnb 

49 Replies 49

I've been in Airbnb host since 2015 and a super host for much of that time. I have had a few problem guests, and reviews, but very few. My Airbnb is in my own home, which is where I believe the company should have maintained its mission in the first place.  I am not a fan of the plethora of rental properties that now call themselves an Airbnb. The problems that this has caused in local communities regulating airbnbs is obvious to everyone.

I have a couple of suggestions to offer about avoiding problem guests:

1.   I never instant book and always vet perspective guests. Those of us who have been hosting for some time have developed pretty good antennae I think. Use them!  When I feel that niggling uh-oh, I listen. When I believe the guest is not a good fit or I am uncomfortable with the guest inquiry, I decline. My listing is very specific about my rules, pets, and what to expect. I believe this may deter some undesirable guests.

2.  I actually do not worry about being a super host or not. I know this is not for most people, but I find it liberating, and I believe my property and the majority of my reviews will tell the story. 

3.  In somewhat the same vein, I keep in mind always that we, the hosts, are the infrastructure of this company. It does not own anything physical, we do. Without good hosts there would be no abnb. I have found them mostly helpful when a resolution has been necessary. But, they are supported by my own listing information. I do make sure that's up front so that guests are responsible for reading it ahead of time. Of course, very few people read the whole thing, but if there's a problem, then it's the guest's problem. 

4. Finally, I am also a shareholder. I purchased shares at the IPO. I was saddened by the fact that all hosts with a certain history on the site were not offered to participate. We are certainly equal to the employees of the company because, as I have mentioned, we actually own the infrastructure. This is something the founders and the venture capitalists apparently did not honor. The original owners, directors, and major employees have been selling off their hundred and thousands of shares.  Practically every day I receive a "notice of a change of beneficial ownership". 

These are just a few things to consider. Hope it's helpful.

@Ryan-and-Darnie0   Your point is good - "2) Automatically suspend, or moderate, reviews for reservations where a property damage claim has been filed. Alternatively, give hosts more time to file claims. "  Many other hosts have asked for this but to no avail. 

So I had another thought.  Could airbnb simply wait to notify a guest about a property damage claim until AFTER they have 1. posted their review, or 2. their review time expires.  This way they cannot submit a revenge review.  So.....the host is allowed to submit the damage claim to airbnb with all photos, etc, before the next guest arrives, but airbnb holds the claim before notifying the guest.  Seems like it could be easily coded in the system and just a change to the timing. 

That's far too simple and logical @Dave52  🙂 

This is a good idea, but often times, the guests know they have damaged something or broken a house rule, and in anticipation of a claim for damages, they post a negative review.   Giving a negative review by a guest, costs them nothing.  

Lan1
Level 10
El Cerrito, CA

I just received a one-star review last week. The guests requested a refund after one night stay. I live next door; they didn't inform me to see whatever issue and refused to show any documentation. They implied in their message that they didn't want a negative rating to impact my listing as long as I give a refund. Airbnb case manager stated that as long as guests present documentation, I should refund them. 

They gave me a one-star review without any details.

Airbnb sent me a warning m

61409F12-8960-4C99-8A87-54A5D1879D67.jpeg

C0CEA4B7-52F6-4305-9F5C-C66F9693E501.jpeg

essage immediately, their high level mathemagician calculated my rating from 4.63 to 4.3 due to this one-star review. Seriously my listing is in danger.

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

周蘭

@Lan1  The guests implying that if they get refunded they won't leave a bad review is extortion. Look up "extortion" in the Airbnb info on reviews, and have that at hand. Read it out to the CS rep along with the guest's extortion attempt. Don't clutter up the issue by talking to them about your ratings. Review extortion is a clear violation of the review policy.

Honestly, while it's disgusting that guests make up non-existent issues in order to scam a refund, it's often best to just refund them without a fuss and move on.

Good luck, I hope you can get the review removed.

@Sarah977 

I enjoy reading your comments often regarding different types of matters. Sometimes I had something in my mind, I just couldn't Convey it In proper sentences. 

Yes! Sarah, I agree if I have a guest who requests a refund, as long as he/she shows me a tiny stain on the floor or other defect, I would have refunded him. I understand the hygiene or comfort level are different, but this guest ignores any documentation request ( even just a picture of any defect). There is a fundamental respect and attitude issue here, so I decided to dispute. 

I never understood who can make it for many years with hundreds of ONLY FIVE-STAR reviews.

I had a party guest, to whom Airbnb canceled her reservation after few hours checked in, and made a serious investigation, paid me damages but still consider her one-star revenge review acceptable. 

I believe that I would never be a super host; also, I have no more incentive for that dream.

周蘭

@Lan1  That's just so wrong, that Airbnb would cancel a partier, investigate in your favor, and let the review stand.

According to the new post in the Airbnb updates section by Catherine Powell, the head of hosting, that review is now supposed to be removed. Go read the post in the Updates section.  https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Catherine-s-Host-Update-reviews-party-ban-policy-...

Customer service is apparently not abiding by what she claims is the new policy on these revenge reviews from partiers. 

Yeah, don't concern yourself with the Superhost carrot. Not at all worth stressing out about. As to how some hosts can maintain a 5* rating, I think it really depends on the location and nature of your listing. Private room listings don't get these partiers or many guests who are rule breakers and then leave revenge reviews when called out for their behavior, because they can't get away with that sort of behavior in the first place if the host is living in the same house, or even in another home on the same property. And an entire house listing in the Maine woods isn't going to attract the same demographic of guests as an entire house listing in an urban US city. 

Learning how to vet guests well can help you not get these bad guests, but I know guests will lie about their intentions, and if you live in an area full of the type of people who think Airbnb equates with party house, which it seems you do, there's only so much you can do-  some are going to slip through your vetting.

@Sarah977 I just received the Airbnb support team decision regarding the rating. The review remains. 

1: my listing is 4:6 overall For 153 reviews, even with the two revenge one-star reviews.  BUT Airbnb constantly insist my rating is 4.2, and sending me the danger of delisting again and again. Anyone can check my listing now.

2: check their example of distortion.

I am really concerned the critical thinking skill  and basic knowledge of The support team. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with Community Center Guidelines]

周蘭
Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

This seems so unfair @Lan1 

@Catherine-Powell 

Can you possibly intervene here as the new Policy may not have filtered through?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lan1 I would wait until you get the automated message asking if the matter is resolved, choose yes, and start again with a new rep. Try them on social media: I like contacting them on Twitter @Airbnbhelp.

As @Sarah977 mentioned, don't muddy the waters with anything else about your overall rating. Copy and paste the relevant clause from the Airbnb policy and the phrase from the guest that's extortion. Ask them to remove it. Hopefully the new rep will be less willfully clueless. What your guest said definitely comes across as extortionate, and I'd keep pushing to get the review removed.

@Alexandra316  This was also a guest she kicked out for having a party. So we have Catherine Powell proudly announcing that revenge reviews when a guest has violated the party ban will be removed, no problem, but here's Lan, being told the review can't be removed.

@Lan1  Did you read the post in the updates section I gave you the link to? You should post over there and tag Catherine Powell and some of the moderators. 

@Sarah977 Yes! I read it. Thank you!

@Alexandra316 thank you for your suggestions!

Lan

周蘭
Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Brilliant suggestion to cancel out the hostage taking situation of bad guests.   An easy fix to the platform. When host files damages claim guest reviews will  be held (in  escrow)(off site) until the damages claim is cleared. And then investigated for truthfulness after the claim resolves OR automatically  removed).

I  avoided a situation like this when a long term reservation immediately communicated a complaint about a "safety" issue .  It was just too crazy to share.  And kept hinting at expecting a reduction in charges equivalent to 14 days rent throughout the 4 month stay.

I was held in distress all through Christmas holidays when suddenly the answer came to me....Seize the power and change the paradigm... I contacted Superhost support and filed my complaint and insisted upon a ticket being started about what was developing with this reservation and guest demands.

Fortunately for me it was such a long term issue brewing, which gave me much opportunity to collect guest messages through the Airbnb thread to prove my case.  I tactfully avoided answering directly about the claim for compensationand let this guest hang herself with continued chatter and kept updating my report of this problem with Airbnb.

By the time near checkout arrived I got support sending me a written promise to be there   " to help you in every way we can if this guest submits a Review".  I then printed this message and gave it to the guest just a day before departure.

I told him that I had reported everything from day one to Airbnb so they know the whole story and are there to help me and protect me against any review they submit. I also reminded guest that I would be obliged to file my review and I would "tell the whole story". This would hurt them and probably keep them out of successfully booking an Airbnb forever.  I did not say this-Guest  registered this cost to himself.   THEY NEVER SUBMITTED A REVIEW.

Lesson  is to  quickly file your complaint and insist on a ticket started and the ticket number.

Keep everything in the Airbnb thread.  INBOX.  That is your proof ahead of ax falling on your head because you failed to take the power of the Review into your own hands.  Hope this helps you all.

Susan
Andrew2151
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

@Ryan-and-Darnie0   I completely agree. This is a great post. I'm am a new Airbnb host and the most frustrating experience so far has been been out of all the 5 star reviews one guest gave us 1 star review. Why? His group broke out ceiling fan, multiple cups, paint/nail polish on our leather couch and we summited a resolution claim. All his written review mentions is his frustration with me submitting a claim. He also accuses me of lying. Airbnb has my entire conversation with him including a picture of the ceiling fan 2 hours before his arrival (I've had great cleaners).  I had MANY conversations with Airbnb ambassadors and none had been helpful regarding this. They all apologize and agree it is unfair, but they have a strict review policy. Untruthful reviews and Retaliatory reviews don't violate there policy. This to me seems to be a huge gap is Airbnb's processes and policies. Why pretend that the had a apparatus in place to protect hosts from property damage (Resolutions) if they explicitly admit they do not protect hosts from clear retaliation.