Seasonal Air BnB - when to advertise rates for next year?

Kat162
Level 7
Nova Scotia, Canada

Seasonal Air BnB - when to advertise rates for next year?

Hello! 

We are winding down our first (successful!) season with Air BnB and already dreaming of 2020.
Our listing is a seasonal rental (May - November), and as a new host, I am wondering how far in advance other hosts of seasonal properties open their calendars' availability for the following season? Should I have 2020 available now to be reserved? Is there such a thing as 'too far' in advance? Is there a happy medium?

As a new host, I would love to hear what fellow hosts have found beneficial or not!

Many Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hello, @Kat162   I am near Palm Springs, CA, USA and have the opposite season 😄  My season is defined by both the weather and the events of the area.  Near me are several large events - tennis tournament, music festivals.   Because travelers make plan way in advance, I have my calendar open 12 months ahead.  I am sure to manage my rates for the highly desireable dates.  Does your area have special events with a large draw or is your season more climate driven?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

One year. usewheelhouse.com for strategic pricing.

Thanks Lisa! I will research your suggestion tonight!

Kat162
Level 7
Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi Linda,
Thanks for your reply! So with our seasonal differences, we can visit one another! = )

We are very "climate driven", being on the East Coast of Canada. Typical high season for us being late June - October. For our listing, it is mostly about RnR, city breaks and overnights en-route to larger tourist draws (National Parks, Cities.)

While I am wanting to open up dates for 2020, I wonder if it could be too far in advance & perhaps lead to last minute cancellations that may be hard to fill.

@Kat162 at least in my experience, people who book their vacations a year in advance are excellent planners who rarely cancel. And a strict cancellation policy can protect you to a certain extent. (However, if you are at all unsure about your own ability to host that far in advance, don't do it, because the last thing you want is to have to cancel yourself.) For our high season, June-September, we maintain a seven-night minimum stay until about April 1, then lower it to three nights, except for two-night gaps. We've had virtually 100% occupancy the last two summers using this method.

Kat162
Level 7
Nova Scotia, Canada

Great point @Lisa723  re: advanced planners are excellent at commitment! I was thinking the same about having a Strict cancellation policy set.  Many Thanks!