Seasonal Bunk House

Tim2294
Level 1
Charlevoix, MI

Seasonal Bunk House

I have a 3BR/3Bath house in the great little resort town of Charlevoix, Michigan.  In addition, on the same property there is a very charming “bunkhouse” over the garage.  The bunkhouse is heated and air-conditioned, but due to the climate it really makes sense to use this space during the months of May through October.  As mentioned, the bunkhouse will be comfortable, but a middle-of-the-night walk to the bathroom in the colder months may be chilly, or one could have to walk through a significant snowfall.

My question for this community is, how can I best market this seasonal space as part of the house?  I want to make it clear that is room is available May – October, but I do not want to mislead people.  Thoughts?

Thank you.

5 Replies 5
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Tim2294 you could make two different listings, one with the bunkhouse and one without, and link their calendars so they can’t be double-booked. Then the one with the bunkhouse could be available in the summer months only.

I second @Lisa723 , this is probably your best bet. Curious, @Tim2294 , how far is the walk outside from the bunkhouse to the bathroom? I'm really curious if you might be able to offer a workable solution for the winter. You could be up front about it in your listing, stating that it's a bonus room with this caveat, but then try to reduce the discomfort as much as possible by building a sheltered walkway? Just throwing ideas here..

I think you nailed it.  Simple and direct...thank you!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Tim2294  Would you rent the bunkhouse without the main house ever? Do you live in the main house and want to rent the bunkhouse seasonally? It sounds like the bunkhouse needs to share a bathroom?

If you only want to rent the bunkhouse seasonally I would do a listing for that and block off any dates you don't want it available. Be VERY clear in your description about shared spaces. Repeat in booking messages as well. People will not read and then complain that they had to go outside to use the bathroom in the reviews.

If its an add on to the main house, do as @Lisa723 suggested. Again, be super over the top pedantically clear about what guests can expect and repeat ad nauseum.

You've brought up some great points.  The bunk is very close to the house, but I completely agree with your thoughts and concerns.  Thank you.