Security Cameras

Security Cameras

Hosts with security cameras - Have you ever had a guest complain that you have a camera? I am thinking of installing a Ring doorbell/security camera on the front door (that is the only entrance for guests).  This would be fully disclosed to guests prior to their arrival, as well as noted on our listing.  Our vacation rental (in Prince Edward County, Ontario) will soon be up and running.  This would be for security, but also when people arrival, I would see right away if they had additional guests and/or pets.  

31 Replies 31
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

My camera's are in full view and  the guest is advised of them before they arrive (in fact they blink with a green light that you can't miss when plugged in).  The adapters are clearly marked "Camera" so the guest can unplug them when they arrive.

I have never had a complaint about the cameras (over 500 rentals) and in fact some people leave them plugged in for their own piece of mind.  Some people leave them plugged in because they are plain stupid and then do stupid things in front of the camera.

The best benifit is for tracking of check-out since part of my departure instructions state to plug the cameras back in so I know you have departed.  This really keeps people to the check-out time.

It is very important to make sure that you communicate they presence of the camera as in some places it's a felony to record someone without their knowledge.

On your own property?!??  Bathrooms and bedrooms are of course off-limits,  and private areas in general are problematic with Airbnb.   ABB's rules also require you to disclose all cameras in the appropriate parts of your listings.  But felony?  Why do people posts things they know nothing about?

Linette7
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

My cameras are in full view on the exterior of the home only.  We use them as security cameras and we also frequently catch the deer going down to the lake to take a drink.  It's fun for us to be able to check in on our lake from home when we aren't able to be there ourselves.  

However, you must check your local laws.  In Maine you must inform people before they are being photographed (in general) and about the presence of cameras on a property.  We do have it in our rental agreement and there is a note that the guest can unplug it at any time they want during their stay.  We haven't had a guest unplug them yet.  I really like the idea of the previous poster to have a label with "camera" on the plugs.

Good luck!

-Linette

Loon Lodge, Winslow, Maine - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/20747780

Loon Loft , Winslow, Maine - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21551164

Private property,  no,  you don't have to inform anyone.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Linette7@Jonathan6

Just curious, if guests unplug the cameras, what are the point of them?

To see who comes and goes (i.e. check-in/out), to monitor my cleaning service and for security when nobody is there.  It's not to spy on the guests it's to monitor the place when not occupied.

Linette7
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Exactly what Jonathan said.  I don't use them to watch guests, just to watch the house when there is no one there.  I have had cleaning services that charged me 5 hours to clean when my security camera could verify they were only there for an hour.  I was able to call them out on it.  We also are able to see deer come and go down to the lake.  In the winter we like to check how much snow we got and have a yard stick to measure in the field of view.  We have also had some big wind storms and they help us keep an eye if there are downed trees on the property.  The guest can unplug them while they are there if they don't like them, but plug them in again when they leave.

Ohh yes - I never even thought about the cleaning staff/hours too!  Nice 🙂

Thanks for your feedback.

If a guest interferes with our security equipment,  I'd expell them immediately.

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Ashley388, I have the Ring Doorbell and it is awesome. It is disclosed in my listing, and always on for Security reasons. One of the nice things for me is, with self check in,  if the guest is having issues with the keypad, they can just hit the doorbell and it alerts me and I can walk them through it.  It has been extremely helpful, and the guests have been very grateful that it is there. And it is quite useful to make sure that there are not more than the number of guests that they’re supposed to be and that they are not  sneaking in pets. 

Thanks for the info!

Have you actually ever 'caught' anyone bringing in extra guests or pets before?!

I have the ring system also. I love it. I haven't had any issues with extra guests.  But one of my friends did last week.  They had 8 on the reservation and had 18 show up.

no complaints, we have two nanny cams in plain view and written in our listing

EIGHTEEN??!!!!  Egads.