Security Deposit

Linda254
Level 3
California, United States

Security Deposit

How does the security deposit work?
Are they charged it at time of booking and do I have to refund?
Or does airbnb do it all?

Do most listings add the deposit or will including one decrease my chances of getting rentals?

Thank you!

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The details of what it is are listed on the ABB web site.

From a practical point of view seems a lot of people have had issues when seeking to claim against it.

I can see it is more relevant for stand alone listings, but your call if it is important to you and how much to set it at.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi Linda

BNB provides lots of useful information for hosts on it's website including how deposits work. Have you looked their yet?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/59/how-do-i-add-a-security-deposit-to-my-listing

Not sure if there is any research around whether it is a deterrent. 

Linda254
Level 3
California, United States

Thank you. Yes, I have read what is there.
It does not answer my question, which is how the
deposit is charged and refunded. Is the renter charged that fee on their credit card and then I have to refund it??

That is not what it says, no charge is made, just a hold.

You do not get involved in credit card transactions etc, handled by ABB.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

If someone is detered from your listing because of the deposit, you probably dont want them staying at your place anyhow.

Thank you. That is a good point IF most renters charge a security deposit.
If it is more common to not charge one, and I did, then they would pass my listing up.

I do not know what percentage have a SD, from a non scientific observation seems less than half.

You would have to do a survey of prospective guests as to whether it is an issue for your listing.

David