Security deposit claim rejected by unprofessional and unfair Airbnb agent

Zhu-Andrew0
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Security deposit claim rejected by unprofessional and unfair Airbnb agent

I recently hosted three guests from Singapore who made my apartment a mess, left trash, urine and grease stains behind. As if that was not bad enough, they damaged a brand new dining chair bought two months ago. The backrest is detached (pulled out) with deep scratches.

I asked the guest to pay for the damages via Resolution Center but he refused. So I involved Airbnb. I was asked by Airbnb to provide video, photos, sales invoices and other documents. Despite all my efforts and documentation evidence, Airbnb agent Lea reached the decision that my chair was not damaged but an "ordinary wear and tear" and the guest was not liable. And it took her less than a few hours (after I sent her a video and photos of the damaged chair) to reach the decision. Careful deliberation requires at least a day going through all the documents thoroughly and discussing with a dedicated team, yes, no?

Lea and her colleague Priyanka's responses to me were terse right from the start. They also did not bother to explain how they reached the decision. I tried to appeal, but Lea said her decision is final and cannot be overturned. In her last email to me, Lea said "we do not compensate for wear and tear." I am confused and upset as her statement seems to contradict what Airbnb states on its website that "hosts should take advantage of our system to implement a security deposit to protect against wear and tear."

So either Lea is lying or is completely clueless about her own company's policies? Her negligence is appalling and unacceptable. She and Priyanka has caused me great distress. Just to claim AUD79 for a damaged chair, I had to spend (waste) hours and even losing sleep to deal with them!

This bad experience has made me lost confidence in Airbnb. How can Airbnb guarantee hosts that they are protected from damage and theft of their property if the security deposit is just a mirage? And how can hosts be represented fairly when we have to deal with incompetent agents like Lea? Airbnb, I hope you can assign someone more professional to take over my case and resolve it fairly.

33 Replies 33
Trinity-And-Cristina0
Level 4
Prague, Czech Republic

That sounds awful, I am very sorry for your experience 😞 Maybe try another representative? Do you have any photos of your home that include the chair with a date that can prove to staff that it was damaged by your guests? wow, this story really sucks, especially that you've had great guests stay with you and nice reviews and this has soured it for you 

Yes, I provided Airbnb with a sales invoice which showed the unit price and date of purchase. I even provided close-up shots of the detached backrest with screws loose and deep scratches around the area. I told them the chair was in perfect condition before the three guests arrived. But to my shock and horror, the agent Lea concluded that it was "ordinary wear and tear" and the guest was not liable. Her decision is final.

I'm so upset...

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Suggest you photo listing date stamped the day of each arrival

This really sounds like an awful situation.  Out of curiousity, what does the guest say happened to the chair while they were there? 

BTW, your apartment is super cute. I'd stay there for sure.  I don't see any chairs like the ones you describe. 

Thanks for thinking my apartment is super cute. The chairs you see were the old ones. I replaced them with brand new and more expensive ones two months ago.

The guests did not complain to me about any damages when they stayed there for 9 nights. They only said positive things "we love your place!" But I've learned that talk is cheap.

@Zhu-Andrew0 Dude, you've got a great property, great reviews and you're a superhost, so take advantage of that. Even though you've been told the decision is final, it ain't over til it's over. Use the dedicated phone number you recieved for becoming a superhost and appeal the hell outta this.

Seems like you've done everything that can be expected of you, you've gone the extra mile, with little satisfaction, so in my opinion you ought to go full throttle! 😉

Cheers!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would post your story on their social media and express how sad  as a superhost you are at the service you received and that they refuse to explain how they came to their decision.

Query how a guest damaging property and urinating over it can be seen as wear and tear and ask them if they can review.

Thanks guys for your encouragement and suggestions.

Helen, I posted my story on Airbnb Facebook page yesterday. I even attached a screenshot of the terse email from agent Lea. Airbnb said they would reopen my case and get a case manager to follow up with a further resolution. But an hour ago, they said "we have issued our final decision on the matter and that we're going to follow this." Again, all my efforts wasted?

I thought that sharing my story here would get Airbnb management's attention. But it seems this forum is self-moderated. Seriously Airbnb, you don't want to know what is going on? That many hosts have similar issues and are unhappy?

@Zhu-Andrew0 I have had a similar situation with guests this year. Broke an electric socket, left stains on my white couch, let my plants die and did not clean my flat as agreed upon. Took hours and hours to document the case and airbnb only reimbursed about one third of the claims even though they could take it from the guest's deposit.

I have since become very cautious and distrustful about the security deposit. Airbnb clearly seems to favour the guest that they do not want to lose. The real problem is that we as hosts are not allowed to set up our own deposit but depend on the "final decision" of a case manager.

@Zhu-Andrew0 I truly empathise, I really do. I've had guests burn or stain my soft furnishings with pots, pans, weed, cigarettes and candles; break chairs; use linen to clean their nether regions, shoes, the floor, and other unimaginables; steal stupid stuff that they thought they "purchased" as part of the deal. The list goes on and on...

At the end of the day, some people see our properties as temporary lodgings, not unlike an hotel.

This is the sad reality.

And Airbnb will always favour the guest, because they are the ones that generate the bulk of their income.

The time will come when experienced host's will say "screw this" and move on, but right now supply out-strips demand.

At the end of the day, it's a risk versus rewards enterprise.

I hope people like you continue to host, because it's people like you that make this community what it is.

And on that note, I sincerely wish you well!

Rob

Thanks Rob and everyone.

You know what, I'm going to screw this. Best to quit Airbnb as it's looking more and more like a big joke and scam. Security deposits that do not allow hosts to make valid claims. Customer service that sucks and favours guests. Airbnb system is wrong and needs a major overhual.

By the way, I've forwarded my email correspondenses with the rude agents to CEO Brain. I wonder if he will reply? Stay tuned.

Sara2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why don't you ban smoking and candles@Rob

FYI Zhu, Robert, and others getting screwed by guests destroying your property, you may want to consider adding under "House Rules" that "guests agree and are responsible for providing host a security deposit upon check in for x number of dollars and it will be returned upon satisfactory inspection at check out.

Something to consider....

It's a shame really because there are other options that Airbnb and some hosts don't consider- like Trivago, Travelocity, Home Away, Corporatehousingbyowner, etc.  In time there may be more copanies that outwit and rival Airbnb drawing away disgruntled hosts- super and otherwise.

While Airbnb has started something years ago that turns a profit it looks like they may have become foolishly short-sided. 

When I heard the Airbnb executive giving the recent Facebook presentation I recalled him citing " We have x number of homes with x number of beds and x number of bathrooms,  I cringed.  Airbnb is a "software schedulig" and "payment processing" company who makes money off the backs of hosts who carry the product- housing.  Most of the times it's in hosts homes! Without us they have nothing for guests to pay them services fees on.

A bit more humility,  and overall relationship building with hosts, (host apprecition programs or events), would go a long way for Airbnb.

When they wake up from their wonderful dream they will see their company profits may have plummeted because they've gotten too sloppy, too deaf, too greedy, too careless, etc.  Now watch and mark my words.  

Meantwhile, we'll continue on this dwindlig gravy train but already we are seeking exits as we observe Airbnb taking some new routes that may lead to their demise.

Karen