Security deposit is a total JOKE.

Paul49
Level 1
Miami, FL

Security deposit is a total JOKE.

Hosts - BEWARE - the security deposit that Airbnb holds is a complete and total waste of time.

I just had a guest leave my suite, throw a large party, put balloons all of the walls, doors, ceiling, etc.  

The result was:

-Stains all over the carpets

-PUKE in the fridge (who does that!?!)

-Paint chips everywhere from the tape that they used

....Generally the suite was a complete and total disaster.

I put together a request to help with the huge out of pocket expenses: 2 extra maid, carpet shampoo, stain removal on the counters, cleaning the puke from the fridge (which took 3 hours).

Total expense for me was around $375 after all was said and done. It was more than 50% of what the guest paid. Lucky me.

Claudia from airbnb (aka Judge, Jury and Executioner), despite my repeated requests for a phone call, refused to call citing 'security issues for airbnb'.. absurd.   Then requested copies of the bills, photos, etc.  all of which was provided to her in a very timely fashion.

In the end, she ruled, "since the invoice wasn't on the cleaners letter head (they use a basic quickbooks system), that the claim was rejected.

Further, she sent me a message telling me that that is their decision and no further communication would be had on this case.

I'm disgusted with Airbnb right now... Any advise, I need to appeal this to someone that has a clue.

Paul

8 Replies 8
Hope-and-Rennie0
Level 3
Mendocino, CA

Hi Paul,

I would try the Better Business Bureau, Chamber of Commerce, etc.

Rennie

Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

@Paul

Media is the only way...make a Youtube video, contact your local TV station, newspaper. That seems to be the only way to get Airbnb to act these days.

Brittany1
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Did you provide pictures of the damage and the mess? I've used my security deposit multiple times and never had an issue. In one case I fought a couple who left sweating water glasses on top of my vintage dresser. Despite the guest fighting me on it I still had that ok'd. With that much of a mess there has to be some way to get you reimbursed. Keep calling Airbnb until you talk to someone that will help you.

Maxine0
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

@Paul49 - yuk puke in the fridge! Interesting point here about cleaners letterhead - so if you had submitted on a letterhead, ABB would have paid as it was clearly an external cost. But if you had cleaned the carpets, cleaned puke out of the fridge, re-painted the walls - they would not have paid? How does that change the purpose of a bloody security deposit ...... your time is as valuable as that of an external cleaning firm. And by not punishing the guests by making them pay for the mess they created, it sends the wrong message and they'll do it again to another poor host.

Hope you made it very clear to all other hosts in the review. Mind you they can just set up a new account or get a different mate to book. Hey ho

Kelly9
Level 10
Bellingham, WA

Paul,

I'm sorry about your horrible experience and total lack of support from Airbnb.  I agree with @Maxine0, that it is apalling to let guests walk away with no penalty for this kind of behavior.  It would certainly justify a small court claim with any other renter.  Airbnb needs to do more to protect their hosts and ban irresponsible guests.

Kelly

MaryAnn2
Level 2
Beach Haven, NJ

Social media gets attention, or post on Airbnb FB page or their sites social media.  It worded for me with the Discover Card.  Problem solved in 10 minutes.  The security fee is to portect the homeowners for crying out loud.  It is not right to hold it if there is damages from the guest.  I stopped using a Real Estate Office due to them protecting the renter!  Hello?!  No house to rent, no commission to make folks, protect the home owners!

Kandi1
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Pre-paid legal services offer memberships in which you pay a monthly fee for the use of legal services on demand. They have helped us in more than one Airbnb dispute.

Dp0
Level 1
Washington, United States

My girlfriends and I think we are being scammed by the host’s housekeeper. The housekeeper took picture showing half circles on desk top. She claimed she smelled burning soon after our check out early morning. She and the host believe the we caused the damage by burning a candle each night of our stay; six nights, six marks. The marks are half circles and have an appearance of household cleaning bottles being set on surface, removing the desk finish. Our group unequivocally can say with 100% we burned NO candles inside or out. We had read the house rules and followed them exactly during our stay and on checkout. We left the place in very good condition and there was no burning smell upon departure. We also placed no water bottles or any other product on the desk that would cause these “burned marks.” I have asked for a police report to be filed with the housekeeper’s statement before any payment be released. Any advice? I’m so disheartened by this first Airbnb experience. If I ever rent again, I will insist that the housekeeper be there on check out to make sure everything in proper order. Pam