Security deposit

Donna901
Level 2
Utica, NY

Security deposit

Hi,  We had a guest for only 4 days that was Pre-approved  by 8 other hosts so I thought he would be good. He and his friends had a dog, which we don’t allow. We found spills around the house, garbages not emptied, Dirty dishes in the sink, blood on 2 comforters, a pool cue broken in two,  Broken glasses, broken sink sprayer and numerous other disrespectful treatments around the home that took my cleaning lady 8 hours to clean. I haven’t reached out to him yet about a security deposit because I’m concerned that he may give us a bad review- if he does it’s in there forever right? Wondering if it’s worth it to even say anything? Thoughts??

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Donna901 Your question potentially demonstrates why you had the problem in the first place. If you do not review the guest properly then you potentially join the 8 hosts who helped convince you to take the booking.

My advice is to leave an honest review but, sadly, suck up the additional cleaning costs. By putting the guests behaviour on record you at least have some defence if they leave you a bad review.

If they do leave a bad review your response to it is critical for future bookings - Lots of advice available here if you need it.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Donna901 Another thought having looked at your lovely property. Perhaps do not say you are an hour away. Perhaps say we live nearby (an hour is nearby in the USA I believe). That way you are less likely to be hit by people trying to party/wreck your house.

Donna901
Level 2
Utica, NY

@Mike-And-Jane0 Hi! Thank you for your advice, other than googling, Facebook or Instagram I’m not sure how else to research these people? The 8 reviews he had scored him wonderful and said he was welcome back any time! We expect some wear and tear but this was excessive and disrespectful- this was our first bad experience. Would you suggest we reach out to him privately thru Airbnb? 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Donna901 Consider the timeline of events. You first both get to leave a review and he will have no clue what you are going to say, and vice versa. He has no reason to leave you a bad review, so in all likely it will be favorable one. So if you going to say something negative he will not know it before he leaves his review.

Then you will have an added opportunity for a response (you do not have to leave one) to his review that will appear publicly in your listing. That one should take into  consideration you are primarily 'speaking' more to future potential guests in two ways; how you handled a negative review (if even happens) and/or how cool you are as a host. 

Something tells me he wasn't the problem maker,  but one of his friends was. Maybe you can address that reality with him privately, going through Airbnb at the present time probably will turn out a total waste of time because they are not really holding a 'deposit' per se and maybe you can word a request for extra money better than they can. IF you even want to go there.

Good luck. Utica is a great town, went to Cornell right next doors for many years. 

P.S. @Mike-And-Jane0 had a great suggestion an never saying how far you are away from your place.

Great thoughts, thank you- I’m beginning to think you need to just hope for the best, I do believe the damage was a combined effort. Great suggestion on saying we live close! Thanks for the advice everyone:)

You should claim but be prepared for airbnb to argue.

Richard1830
Level 3
United Kingdom

I had a similar issue last month. 

Contacted the guest to request damages and heard nothing back. Then escalated to airbnb via the Host Guarantee and had the money in 48 hours.

No review from the guest and I didn't leave one for them either.

UK based owner of Florida Holiday Rental
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Richard1830 Shame on you for not leaving a review. The guest will now, no doubt, prey on some other poor host.