Several Reviews changed overnight!

Alison256
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

Several Reviews changed overnight!

I had all 5-star reviews. During the last 72 hours or so, 3 of my ratings were downgraded from 5 star to 3 or 4 star...but ONLY FOR LOCATION. This is weird. Two of these ratings were old--well past the time period when a guest can change a review. 

I called Airbnb and they refuse to acknowlege that anything is wrong. 

I am upset about this. Has this happened to anyone else.

5 Replies 5
Mary167
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

That makes no sense, Alison, and shame on Airbnb for not helping sort out what happened.  The rating system definitely needs improvement, especially the ridiculous five stars which implies that guests should compare us with five star hotels that offer restaurants, spas, gyms, pools, (expensive) valet parking, 24 hour room service, bars, convention facilites, concierge services etc.  I believe if they insist on using the flawed star rating system it should be 10 stars, so that people who were hoping for the Taj Mahal might give us 9 stars.  

I was just notified by Airbnb that my recent guests complained about several issues, and because I have a good relationship with the guests (it was their second stay) I messaged them.  They denied complaining about anything, and sent a screen shot of all the five star ratings they gave me, in every category.  So why would Airbnb do that?  Are they trying to keep us on our toes or are they just mean or incompetent?  My guests, who are back home in Australia, texted to say they are on the phone right now with Airbnb, so maybe I'll get some satisfaction.  I hope you will too, Alison.

Alison256
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

It happened AGAIN. I had a 5 star overall rating that became a 4 star about a week after it was posted. This is ridiculous and Airbnb is not providing any explanation. 

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Honestly, I thought I saw this happen a few times over the last few months, but just assumed I was confusing bookings. I would like to know how this ends up.

Marsha17
Level 10
KCMO, MO

That is truly frightening.  I will watch my ratings. I've gotten those ugly emails from Airbnb about things not meeting the guests' satisfaction, when they told me they were happy.  So, I guess Airbnb is trying to make us feel beholden to them, as though they have something to bestow upon us - when, in fact, if we choose NOT to rent out our places, they have NOTHING! 

I have had this same issue. My last two guests left me five stars for all of the individual categories, even saying that they would highly recommend it to others, but then four stars overall.

I messaged one of the guests saying that I noted this about her review, and asking if she could let me know what I could do better as a host that would help her to rate me as five stars. She did not respond to me, but was able to go back and change her review! She changed the stars for cleanliness from 5 to 3. This was 16 days after she stayed, 15 days after I had written my review, and 4 days after she had written my review.

It has been 5 days since this happened and the Airbnb case manager keeps telling me that they cannot remove the review because the content does not violate their policy.

I would assume that there is a glitch in the system somewhere, but, in the meantime, I feel very vulnerable as a host knowing that a guest can change their review and Airbnb will not understand and respond to the problem quickly.