Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

Answered!
Randy0
Level 3
Portland, OR

Shampoo, soaps, toiletries, and personal items - what do you do?

I provide guests with a dedicated private bathroom along with their rented private room.

I am currenlty providing shampoo and soaps (along with some other personal items and toiletries)...however I buy a regular size bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash that can be used for multiple guests; mainly because it's cheaper and more economical.

However, as I have skimmed through other listings I see some hosts provide 'travel size' or 'single use' items for each individual guests (similar to a hotel).  Is this normal?...good?...or acceptable? or should I consider buying single use and travel size soaps and shampoos?  

I just started hosting so I haven't heard of any negative feedback on the issue, but I don't want to make a guest feel 'yucky' about it.  I've traveled through Airbnb and have used normal size bottles of shampoo and shared bars of soap and have been fine with that, but I'm not sure if that is OK with the general community.  

I'm looking to guage what other hosts are doing in the way of providing bathroom essentials.  thanks! 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700501237776.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

97 Replies 97

We have two houses. One house we supply travel-size shampoos and conditioners, while the other house has dispensers mounted to the shower wall. Both houses use hotel size individually wrapped bars of soap for the shower and pump soap dispensers for hand washing.

We use the first in rule meaning every guest should feel like they are the first guest in the house so everything is topped up between every guest. We've had no complaints about either system, but the shower dispensers are a good cost savings and so far no one has emptied it like the previous host mentioned happened to them. 

An occassional guest will take the travel size bottle with them when they leave, but that is probably about 10% of the people. We also change out the toilet paper rolls if the guest used more than 1/4. We use the left-over products ourselves so there is no waste.

In the United States you are required to report income on taxes. If you do that, all supply purchases are tax deductible so it really does not cost anything to go the extra mile to make your guests feel special.

Marie515
Level 2
Victoria, Australia

Hi Randy,

I'm in the same boat, new to hosting, and hate the thought of all that wasted soap, shampoo and conditioner.  I bought regular sizes of shampoo and conditioner too, not only because it is less wasteful but also it is a recognised brand and some of the hotel varieties are awful.  I also provide an organic pump bottle of liquid body wash instead of soap, although there are bars of regular soap in the bathroom draws.  I'd love to know what comments and/or advice you have received.

Best wishes,

Marie

Monica443
Level 1
Luanda, Angola

Have you thought about offering individual soap bars to your guests? MIN NUA offers packs of 10 artisan mini soaps. Super natural, made with the best oils and at an affordable price.
Check out the website https://minnua.com/collections/boxes/products/tri-box
An easy and different way of surprising your guests!

Lee52
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

I know I'm probably a bit late to this thread but I rent my spare room with shared (family) bathroom.  When I have Airbnb, I tend to take my own stuff out (to make the bathroom look neater and make them feel less like it's a shared bathroom).   I have full size items near the shower that I refill between guests.  I tend to buy a couple of the same items when they are on offer and keep the one in the bathroom 'topped up' to make the guest feel like they're the first in.  So far, I've not had anyone take things.  When I run out of the refills, I simply stock up on a different offer item and use the remaining item myself.  I don't offer bar soap because I find it wasteful.  I use the 'refil' method with the liquid hand soap too.

Margie25
Level 2
Southland, New Zealand

Does it boost bookings?

Melissa354
Level 1
Dallas, TX

I’m starting to make individually wrapped one use to three use soaps. These can be made in any color of the rainbow and with a variety of scents (or unscented). $5 for 20 soaps makes it super affordable.

Contact me if you have questions.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/573385189/holiday-guest-bathroom-soap-individually

Melissa354
Level 1
Dallas, TX

I’m starting to make individually wrapped one use to three use soaps. These can be made in any color of the rainbow and with a variety of scents (or unscented). $5 for 20 soaps makes it super affordable.

Contact me if you have questions.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/573385189/holiday-guest-bathroom-soap-individually

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Well in order for you to see what I provide just look at my reviews it speaks for it's self. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

I provide an entire welcome basket for my  guest. I provide toiletries, tooth brushes, mouth wash, sanitary napkins, male and female razor blades and an assortment of everything one would need to have a relaxing, memorable experience in my NYC air bnb

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

I provide hotel size bar soap, but full size shampoo and conditioner. I personally don't mind sharing shampoo but like my soap to be personal. I have a note posted in each room saying if they have forgotten anything to please ask.

Hi all,

I just started a shampoo company aimed at small BnBs. Would love to hear peoples opinions on my products.

Here is a link to my website. It still a bit of a work in progress but all comments would be appreciated. 

Cheers,

Alex

Jakub5
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

you can check out single use toiletries purposefully designed for airbnbs : www.bnbessence.com 

Graeme14
Level 2
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Hi,

I'm finding this thread interesting. I've been providing full size shampoo and shower gel for guests - along with hand wash etc. I considered individual (hotel style) toilettries - I'm concerned this just adds to plastic waste - I'm also mindful of alergies and sensitivities guests may have. There is a brand called Jason which has a range of hypo allergic and non animal tested products - whilst expensive maybe it demonstrates good stewardship? Keen to hear others thoughts?

Valerie152
Level 5
Las Vegas, NV

I have a cabin on Airbnb but it has THREE bathrooms.  Becuase of the rural area the nightly rates are fairly low for the entire cabin....hence supplying single user soaps, shampoos, and conditioner in each bathroom would be outside the budget for each guest which typically only stays 3 nights.

Curious if anyone has an opinion on Ginger Lilly Farms products.  Are they ok or are they a really cheap product.  They have mixed reviews online.

I'm thnking of trying one of those shower dispensers for shampoo, conditioner, and liquid body soap from Ginger Lilly Farms which is prices reasonably and just have the housekeeper refill the dispenser in each of the 3 bathrooms.  I've had a shower dispenser in my own personal shower for over 8 years but not sure how reliable they would be in a vacation rental.

We've definitely noticed this issue for hosts. Limited access to quality products at reasonable prices and low quantity minimums. You should check out our site and stay in touch for our launch in September! www.itscayas.com