Shared or Private bathroom now a requirement - suggestion instead!

Lisa367
Level 10
Catania, Italy

Shared or Private bathroom now a requirement - suggestion instead!

I'm not sure if anyone at Airbnb reads these posts or not, but I recently complained because now my listing is required to say "Shared" bathroom simply because I updated the details.  Therefore, we're currently now the only listing in the area that says "Shared Bathroom" at the top because nobody else has updated their details.  Yes, I get it, the bathroom is shared with me and my husband so it's technically a shared bathroom, but the word "Shared" is scary in general and I don't want it at the top of my listing.  Instead, I suggest that a section called "Bathroom" be added to the description so that you can explain the bathroom situation.  "Shared" will make people think they are sharing with 10 people and they won't even look at the listing.  If you put in the listing "Bathroom is shared with just me and my husband" that is far less scary.  Either make everyone update their bathroom listing, or remove "Shared/Private" from the top section of the listing, please!!

7 Replies 7
Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Lisa367  it's not "technically" a shared bathroom, it IS a shared bathroom and you've said as such in your description. It doesn't matter if it's just you and your husband or the entire Italian rugby team, it is still a shared bathroom. If you are trying to obscure this fact then you'll end up with some unhappy guests.

I don't think anyone is understanding what I'm saying.  I am fine with saying it's shared, but in the description, not in the top fo the listing to scare people off.  Especially when nobody else's says "shared" because they haven't updated their listing.  I could care less if my listing says it's a shared bathroom, it IS shared.  I just don't want it to be the first thing you see.  It should be in the description of the room instead.

Soon enough the other hosts will discover this option and little-by-little they will all be updating their listings. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lisa367  I agree with @Victoria57.  Shared is shared.  If you have been a traveler, you would want to know this right up front.  Your point that this puts you at a marketing disadvantage because other hosts have not updated their listing is well taken however, these listings will get negative reviews as guests complain.  Negative reviews are more potent as these reviews remain on the listing for a long time.l

We never had one negative review because the bathroom is shared.  I would prefer people find that out after looking at the listing description, not seeing it at the top of the listing plain as day. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

While I understand you being annoyed, there is no way I would book a place with a 'shared' bathroiom and I would feel aggreived if it was hidden away some where further down the descriptio/

Well, considering this is a NEW rule you've obviously booked rooms before with the bathroom details listed in the description and it wasn't a problem that it didn't say the bathroom status plain as day right at the top of the listing.  In all our bookings, we've only had ONE person message us asking if the bathroom is shared.