Sharing: Learned my lesson through an Airbnb adventure

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Sharing: Learned my lesson through an Airbnb adventure

Recently, I've read some posts on here about how hosts showed hospitality to guests by having dinner or sharing food together, and I decided to do the same. So the day before yesterday, I took one of my guests to a dinner party (the other two would have loved to come but they had other plans). 

Just when we started to eat, the guest suddently said that he didn't feel well and wanted to go home (my place). I was trying to follow him into the elevator when the door closed. And when I went down to the lobby, he was already gone. 

We called him multiple times, and there was no answer. We searched for him in the neighbourhood but to no avail. We decided to go to the parking lot to see if his vehicle was still there, and it was there. So we left a note on his windshield asking him to call me back. And then we went back to my friend's condo and continued the search from one cafe/bar to another...

Two hours later, I called him again and he finally answered the phone. I asked him where he was, and he said he was in a hospital. I asked which hospital, and he said he had no idea. I asked him to hand the phone to the nurse, and I heard that he was at the ER of the xxx Hospital. He felt sick and had called an ambulance.

When we drove to the hospital, we saw him sitting in a corner of the ER waiting for doctors. He said he was better and wanted to leave. But he still couldn't drive, so I had to drive him home. But the next morning he had gotten completely well and apologized for having freaked out the previous day.

I was thinking, Oh My God, what am I doing? I meant well and wanted to be as hospitable as I could and then this. No more crossing the line to be hospitable. Always keep a distance!

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think your guest behaved rather strangely and quite rudely to be honest. Even if he was ill he could have explained his actions and answered his phone.

I've cooked for multiple guests and it has been a delightful experience and some have cooked for me.

Don't let this put you off.

Having said that I wouldn't necessarily take them out to supper with me.

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

If he just arrived, he may have been tired and then stressed and had a little break down. A pity, it ruined your evening and your good intentions. But it could have been worse: imagine he fell ill after eating and you cooked 😉

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Helga0 Exactly! I drove him home by his rental car, and there was no parking spot on the street. I wanted to drive farther to find parking and he said maybe I could park anywhere on the street near my place and the next morning he would come back to move his car. And the next morning he did not move his car until almost 11:00am when I reminded him to do so. And he got a parking ticket, timed 7:45am. Jesus.