Sudden halt in inquiries

Ted-And-Kay0
Level 2
Santa Barbara, CA

Sudden halt in inquiries

Suddenly, inquiries stopped arriving from AirBnB after a steady stream for 4 months, no contact for a month, and it is Spring Break.   This just after installing Google Chrome and after declining our last guest inquiry a month ago.   What could have happened and what can we do to find out?   Kay and Ted

9 Replies 9
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Ted-And-Kay0 You have a very lovely place!  Does Mammoth still have snow? Just taking a brief look at your listing, the only thing that jumped out at me was the amount of your Security Deposit.  I'm sure you know what you need, but $1,000 might scare some guests away, especially those that don't understand that they will not be charged unless you make a claim for damage.  You might consider lowering it. 

Other hosts may have more to add, but that's all I saw.  

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Your place accommodates a lorge number of guests, but that keeps your rate quite high, which might be part of your problem. Rates of $295-$395 during March/April are fairly off-putting. I suggest 1) lower rates, but 2) smarter pricing. By that I mean setting a very low rate for the first 1 or 2 guests, with added fees for each add'l guest. That won't seem so off-putting or eliminate you from too many detail-speciic searches.

Glen2
Level 3
Noosa Heads, Australia

I and several other Australian hosts I know - plus others various o/s locations have noted the same, a sudden decline to a practical stop in enquiries and bookings.  I'm a SH with one of my listings up 18 months and the other new one since Xmas.  I've changed nothing on my old listing which had a steadily growing stream of enquiries since I listed it. And now, nothing. I heard there is a glitch in Airbnb with enquiries not getting through to hosts.  I'm wondering though if it could also be that the market has become saturated with Airbnb hosts. I live in a year round resort which is always fully booked during Xmas/New Year, Easter and school holidays. Would love to hear others opinion.

Thank you.

PS: I love Airbnb and I've had some amazing experiences through them.

Have you had any responses or resolution to your problem? We are having the same problem here in NC. Very sudden absolutely dry period of nobody looking, inquiring, booking. It's painful.

Hi Glen,

Same here! We are SH, steady stream of inquiries for six months...now...nothing. I'm worried about this glitch you mentioned....could you explain more about  where you heard that? 

Warmest Regards,

Simone

Patrice9
Level 4
Surf City, NC

I too have a sudden halt in inquiries since I declined a terrible inquiry in April.....a guy who had no verifications, inputted fake dates, and wanted half a week in summer when we do 7 day minimum.. ...very strange....we went a whole run of days with nobody even looking, which was unprecedented since we opened in October. We have all 5 star reviews and are Superhosts! Prices are good, too and now no inquiries and of course no bookings and it's a beach house and summer is upon us. This is extremely odd. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this problem?

Patrice9
Level 4
Surf City, NC

I had a sudden halt recently also after declining a request 3 weeks
ago. I read as much as I could find in these threads - thank you!- and as recommended I changed my price by $10 (more) per night and tweaked a few words in the description. Also I unchecked the "must verify before inquiry" box. LO and behold, just got my first inquiry in weeks for over $2k. If she verifies, I'm back on track. I've asked others to do 3+ verifications & no one has minded. Whew! Hoping it holds . Thank you, community!
Don32
Level 1
Castries City, Saint Lucia

Hi.  Where is this "must verrify before..." button?  I can't seem to find it.  I too have had a sudden halt in inquiries, but it seemed to only happen once I got my first booking on another platform.

Jacky-and-Tony0
Level 1
Reading, United Kingdom

Hi, We are experiencing the sames thing. We have a high number of 5 star reviews but, we seem to moving down the search rankings. Why doesn't AirBnB have a search by average customer review capability?