Super Strict Cancelation Policy

Jim95
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Super Strict Cancelation Policy

Hello All.  I wonder about the super strict cancellation policy.  The terms state that this is allowed only under "special circumstances" and "by invitation only".  What precisely does this mean?  

My home is in an area with a limited season, Palm Springs.  And there are very special weeks that are our peak times for rentals.  Consequently guests typically book months in advance.  But with the normal "strict" cancellation policy, a guest could cancel within one week, and get a 50% refund.  For all our peak times, that would then render my house unrentable, as everyone wishing to be here for those weeks will have already booked.  I am especially concerned about the Coachella Music Festival.  That is when everyone here has their highest rates.  I could then be out a substantial amount if the guests cancelled at the last minute.

I understand that with AirBnB's policies there are other ways to get a full refund due to "extenuating circumstances", meaning the guests can sometimes still cancel fully in advace, but the super strict cancellation policy would prevent them from cancelling for minor reasons.

How can one get the Super Strict Cancellation policy?  It is essentail for my renting on AirBnB.

Thanks for any assistance!

Jim

12 Replies 12

@Jim95 - As a normal, casual user on Airbnb, you cannot.  Most of the properties with this designation are very, very high end - like renting the entire island level high end - and are very, very rare.  

The Strict Cancellation Policy does pay you 50% if a guest cancels any time before 7 days ahead.  Within the 7-day window, you get 100% payment.  In either case, you're property would be open for rebooking and, if you book, you will get the payout from the cancellation AND the new payment (so, in effect - double).  After a cancellation, Airbnb does move you up in the listings and they will promote your listing - especially if the area is heavily booked.  In 2-1/2 years, I've not once had a cancellation that did not get rebooked so I got paid plus I got the cancellation payout.  

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#strict

There is, indeed, and Extenuating Circumstances Cancellation Policy Exception.  It protects both hosts and guests.  Perhaps you are not aware of the penalties for hosts who cancel.  This policy, should you need it, will keep you from being penalized.  People doen't just get to use it willy-nilly, they have to prove it to Airbnb and Airbnb makes the decision if the person qualifies for the exception.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

From the forums - other threads that have already discussed this topic that might provide more details for you: 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/How-Do-I-Get-Invitation-To-Super-Strict-Cancellation-Policy...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-can-I-get-a-Super-Strict-30-Days-Cancellation-policy...

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

An example of a Super Strict 60:  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4869137 . It is in a foreign country and remote, thus requiring lengthy travel logistics.

On only two occasions have their 'extenuating circumtances' policy come into effect, and on both times Airbnb let me know the guests filed for it before making a decision; respectful of them, but no need since I was all for the cancellations since both times was indeed for real legitimate medical reasons (serious operations). 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I make athe ssumption that anybody really wanting to get out of a booking can use the Extenuating Circumnstances policy so Strict or Super Strict is pretty irrelevant.

David
Jarad0
Level 2
Columbia, MO

I've just dealt with this as well and have been told you have to have six or more properties among other things that the customer service representative wasn't really sure of in order to quality.  I don't think it's necessarily for "private islands" as I know of a property management company in the carribbean that manages beachfront villas and they were able to do super strict.   I have four properties that sleep between 14 and 22 and most of my bookings are six months to a year in advance as it's difficult to get 14-22 people on the same schedule.  A cancellation 7 days before their stay would basically mean I'm accepting half of the revenue I would typically get as rebooking is next to impossible.   I get less than 5% of my reservations from airbnb and don't find it necessary to risk a cancellation.  The model for vacation rental homes is different than hotels and airbnb hasn't completely figured this out yet.  

Cordelia10
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I've been hosting for about five years now and I sense Air B&B have changed their cancelation policies. Getting 50% refund when people cancel is just not on, especially if they have blocked the space by reserving ages in advance. 

It used not to be like this. I'm pretty sure they've changed it. I used to get a full refund when people cancelled two weeks in advance! 

And why they now only allow the super strict policy for some designated people who probably anyway have plenty of cash seems unfair!

@Cordelia10 the super strict policies appear to be only allowed for companies like Cottages.com (in the UK) who list their properties on Airbnb. It beggars belief that Airbnb would allow their chief UK competitor to list with them but I guess they don't really care where their revenue comes from.

I've now added the Non-refundable option. That fixes the issue as people choose between a discount which is only given to the Non-refundable deal. I have done this for short term stays. 

Long term stays anyways have a different cancellation policy.

@Cordelia10 Oh dear - another person sucked in by Airbnb marketing! 

The non refundable option can still be refunded under the Extenuating Circumstances policy so you are by no means assured of the revenue. Also Customer Services will still ask you to refund customers out of your goodwill. 

I view the non refundable option as a good way of losing 10% revenue I am afraid.

@Mike-And-Jane0  perhaps you can be more specific as to what you're referring to when you say "another person sucked into Air B&B's marketing".

I guess you're saying that I shouldn't offer the discount and simply put my prices up?

I'd be happy if you could clarify what you mean in terms of the above mentioned statement.  I don't like having to guess what someone means. Obviously you think I'm being fooled. Please elaborate and let me know why. 

I have received full refunds from cancellations in the past, mainly for longer stays of approx. 28 days 

I haven't had any extenuated circumstances apply ever, so far.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cordelia10 all I am saying is that a non refundable booking can be refunded if the guest meets the extenuating circumstances criteria so cannot be relied on to be non refundable.

Have you experienced people getting out via extenuated circumstances?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cordelia10 not personally but there are plenty of posts on the community centre where people have.