Superbowl and Final Four Event Forum

Chris-And-Monica0
Level 3
Minneapolis, MN

Superbowl and Final Four Event Forum

One year ago as I began my AirBnb hosting experience, I had no idea the impact a major event, like the Superbowl in Minneapolis would be for me as a host.

I thought I would start this forum for anyone who is getting in and would like to ask questions to myself and all others who have experienced this before.

Personally, as I look to the Final Four coming to downtown Minneapolis in 2019, I am curiuos from others how I should think about pricing as well as how far before and after the event the final four will affect our community?

Please chime in with suggestions or ask questions

9 Replies 9
Kirsten-and-Bruce0
Level 4
Minneapolis, MN

We just had an inquiry for Final Four come in yesterday, and when I responded that I would need to investigate on AirBnB to find a fair rate, they immediately sent a full request at the standard rate. 

I wrote this to AirBnB: 

The Final Four will be here in April and your price tips are standard daily LOW. I’d love to see AirBnB be more proactive about helping hosts maximize their potential while still giving a better deal to guests than they could find mainstream. This was also true for the Super Bowl last February. It’s disappointing to not have a better pricing guide.

Your regular suggested rates are insultingly low given our feedback and superhost status, and on top of that, no support for special event surcharges. Would really love to see an improvement in this area.

Kit18
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Yes, I wonder about this, too. The Final Four is a big deal here, not unlike the Super Bowl. I would be interested in learning more about how other hosts plan to price their accommodations. My home is right on a bus line, convenient both to light rail and downtown. I agree with Kristen and Bruce that we'd really like to see an improvement in this area. Thanks.

http://www.finalfourminneapolis.com/

Chris-And-Monica0
Level 3
Minneapolis, MN

I am currently priced at 6X my regular fair for final four with a three day minimum. Three blocks from US Bank Stadium.

I have had people reach out to me but found fairs about 400/night near Target Field - A little farther. Also Guests have found lodging in N.E. Minneapolis for about $200/night.

Currently you can buy hotel & ticket package for 2500/pp for four days. This puts lodging in a downtown hotel at 1100/night for two people in a room. 

Let me know if anyone has any other stats. I believe there is enough airbnb inventory in Minneapolis for everyone to get booked however we need to find the right price point. Also, I think most of the booking will happen once the teams are selected. 

Nathan259
Level 2
Milwaukee, WI

Hi, watching this thread as we have the Dem National Convention in 13 months. It's a big deal for little Milwaukee and I'm researching how far out to release those dates on my calendar. 

Oh Wow. Winner winner chicken dinner!

If it were me I would look at the events scheduled for the week. You may want to make your minimum stay longer as there will be people trying to book early. Also, check the hotel prices and availability in your area. Both for the Super Bowl and the FInal Four I was only able to get 3/4 of their going price; however, I am located downtown near the stadium. I think people who were farther away only got about 50% of downtown prices.... still a lot. I would open up the calendar early for those dates. There will be people trying to get deals but hold out for the price you think you can get. For the Superbowl (four blocks away) I got 700 - 1200 / night and the final four I got 500 - 1000/night. Most of my units are very small one bedroom apartments in downtowl. Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the advice!  I just looked at Kayak and Expedia and there are already zero available hotels for the convention without going into the suburbs. I have been using wheelhouse to set pricing, but they only look out 12 months.  I guess since the convention is 13 months away I'll start very high and see what wheelhouse recommends once the dates fall in their parameters. thx again

You should see if the DNC has a website that has a link for lodging. They may be handling package pricing. This will give you the best read on pricing your space. the final four was costing 2500/pp for four nights with double occupancy per room. I had no problem getting 800/night for two people in a small studio apt.  I use wheelhouse also and they were low (for the first time) on pricing superbowl and Final Four.

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

@Chris-And-Monica0  I would not dare to comment about pricing in the US but the one piece of advise I can give you as a host near to a large event venue is always look at minimum stay lengths when it comes to large events!!! My listings are close to a large event venue and I always ,always , always increase my minimum stay lengths when events are due to take place, it also enables me to keep nightly rates in check so I do not need to hype them so much!!!!!

Regards Shaun

Michelle1022
Level 2
Winston-Salem, NC

Preparing for Final Four in ATL 2020. I have prices set for $450/night with 4 night minimum. My listing is a 3bed/2ba house about a mile from the stadium. It sleeps 8 comfortably, so it's comparable to two hotel rooms (at least).  Close-in hotels are charging about $500/night and farther-out hotels $250/night, so I think this is about right.