Suspicious request from the guest

Thomas195
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Suspicious request from the guest

My guest had a reservation Thursday through Saturday. He messaged me hours later than his scheduled arrival and told me that the plane was delayed, aand a  few hours later, the same thing. Around 5pm I receive a request to alter the reservation to Friday through Sunday. Luckily for the guest I just had another reservation cancel. We are still dealing with the aftermath of Harvey here in New Orleans (luckily nothing like those poor people Houston) , so I understand everything is a mess. Airbnb wouldn't let me alter the reservation since it had already begun, but I messaged the guest that he could have the house through Saturday night anyways and I would just block the date off on my calender. I was trying to be nice because I know how much of a bummer it is to be stuck at an airport over night. However, this morning he messages me super early saying he's ready to come check in. I reply how that its great he was able to catch such an early flight and he can head over whenever. Then he says he actually did arrive on Thursday, but it was late so he decided to stay at a friends house. This made me a little suspicious. Why didnt he just come over last night then? A late check in would have been no problem. I told him I had a lockbox just in case. Also, its a little annoying because I could have had Labor Day weekend booked. Now that the weather has cleared up Im sure it would have booked today.

Should I just let it go and learn my lesson?

Or should I say something?

4 Replies 4
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Let it go and learn your lesson.

No good deed goes unpunished.

You would accomplish nothing by saying anything now. You would only escalate problems.

But at least you are now forwarned to be on the look out for future problems with this guest.

No good deed goes unpunished. That's the truth. 

@Thomas195 Please make sure you represent the facts in your review for the guest to warn other hosts. Th guest was not quite honest.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Thomas195

If it were me I'd say nothing to the guest BUT would mention in general good communication and no problems with the stay itself BUT the guest took advantage of your kindness and you do not like being lied to in the review.