Tax and duration limitation

Rukshan2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Tax and duration limitation

I am an air bnb host in London and have been hosting my flat since September 2021.  I was only informed recently by a friend about the 90 day rule, that apparently you cannot rent your property or room for more than 90 days!  I had no idea about this as this useless website has no reference to this issue at all.  

Furthermore, I would like to know about the tax situation as again no information about this exists on here.  Am I correct in thinking that in the UK, the first £7500 earned through airbnb is tax free?  

3 Replies 3
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Rukshan2 Hope you are well!

As you're renting out a room within a property, you don't have any restrictions on the number of nights you can host.

You can make use of the "rent a room" tax allowance up to £7,500.

HS223 Rent a Room Scheme (2021) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Paul 🙂

Rukshan2
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Paul1255 Thank you!  That is helpful.  In that case that's great and I had a feeling I was exempt from this as I know for a fact that I hosted over 90 days in total in 2021.  

The rent a room scheme, is there anything I need to do here?  If I don't earn over the 7500 limit for the tax year then nothing needs to be done?/

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You're welcome @Rukshan2 !

Indeed if you come in under the threshold then you don't need to report/declare anything.