Toaster versus toaster oven

Mary536
Level 2
Parker, CO

Toaster versus toaster oven

I'm getting ready to start my own listing and I do appreciate all the info I've been getting. Almost overhwhelming and scary. But I'm torn between just offering a nice toaster versus toaster oven. I've got a kitchenette with full size fridge and microwave, blender and a roaster/steamer/slow cooker. I worry since I love my toaster oven, but previous ones have started to burn on broil and reading reviews on some mid priced ones, they get really hot. I wonder if the extra feature is worth it. What do most of you offer? Thanks Mary

7 Replies 7

@Mary536

Since I'm not sure what kind of guests you get, this is just based on my personal experience and preference..... but I think  a fridge, toaster, electric kettle and microwave are more than sufficient for a kitchenette.

I would not offer a blender, oven or roaster or slow cooker of any kind to guests - I wouldn't trust them to use these safely and clean them properly after use. If you are planning to buy any new appliances for guest use, make sure you buy ones with some sort of built-in safety feature that prevents overheating and do not get too hot on the outside surface. 

There was a recent post from a host that his guest left the oven on for several hours. I'm sure this type of scare has happened to all of us at one time or another, but guests using unfamiliar appliances (that don't belong to them) are higher risk - in my opinion. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0I'm not 100% sure what type of people I'll get, but I'm in a rural like setting that is close to twon (I'm using that) There is a horse park that people go to and can stay for a week. I'm hoping that since I'm outside of town, that I'll get the quieter (what I'm saying this place is like)  and not young  (no under 21 or kids) would like.  Maybe business or people visiting family, since only a few hotels and still only 10-15 mins from town.  Thanks for the suggestion about the blender and cooker. Yes,  they'd have to clean.  But I didn't know aobut hte electric kettle, I'll get one of those.  Definetly safety features on the toaster oven, but I'm really leaning towards just waiting and seeing if I get requsts.

That brings me to how to list it. I want to "under promise and make them happy when they arrive" Do I mark it as a kitchen in the search like others in my area with these items. I'm only missing the hot plate and note that there isn't an oven. I do have all the basic dinnerware and stuff. Or I don't check it and make the kitchenette one of the first pictures?

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

If there isn't a cooktop or regular oven then I'd list it as a kitchenette. 

Do a good quality toaster oven, something someone could heat up a small pizza or some hot pocket type thing. 

@Annette76thanks I'm looking up cook tops or toaster oven since I do want to market it as a kitchen.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Mary536 I offer a kitchenette space in my apartment with fridge, kettle, coffeemaker and microwave. I have thought of adding a toaster, but that's just one more thing to clean. I have also thought about a toaster oven, but the potential for blowing a fuse is too great, and I don't want to clean it. There is already enough to clean between guests, so cleaning an appliance is something I really consider.

Katie272
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Definitely late to the conversation, but for my kitchenette I felt safest not providing anything that could be left on accidentally.  Toaster ovens have the 'Bake' option that allows them to stay on and I didn't want to worry about that, so a regular toaster felt best.  That being said, I live in an area where many people are traveling here simply to eat the food!  So I don't have tons of travelers planning to prepare much in the space... seems like that could be an important factor to consider.