Traveler Error - private vs. full house

Linda272
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

Traveler Error - private vs. full house

I hosted a traveler with their family this past week (total of five people).  I could not be here for their arrival but did let them know and left written details on our home for their reference on arrival.  We also confirmed that we would return home mid-day the next day.  We rent private rooms.  We allow full use of the kitchen, dining room, living room and state in our listing that these areas are shared.  

Thirty minutes before our arrival home, I sent an Airbnb message to our guests letting them know of our approximate arrival time so as not to startle them when we came into the house.  When we arrived home, we found the shared area overtaken by their personal items and kitchen counters and refrigerator full of food items.  As this was a family, I accepted that they needed more space than our usual guests - so this was not a problem for us.  We went with the flow, unpacked in our master bedroom and went about our activities.  When I came in from outside to go to bed, the father expressed surprise that we were going to sleep there.  Without thinking much about it, I said yes, in our masterbedroom.  

The next morning, I set out a contentinal breakfast and left for church.  My husband and I talked after thinking something felt off with the communication the night before.  When we returned I asked our guests about their stay.  I wondered what they had thought they rented.  They said they expected the full house.  I explained that we don't offer the full house.  We are listed on Airbnb as private rooms only.  The feeling of discomfort continued and they felt we had mis-represented what we offered.  The wife had made the reservation and is an experienced Airbnb traveler with 5 trips over three years.  I explained that if she had selected full house, she would not have seen my cabin as I only show up under private rooms.  If nothing is selected, then I show up as does everyone else.  She did not agree with me and felt it was our fault.  She felt we should have told her it was private rooms after she did the instant booking.  I did communicate the kitchen was shared but she was welcome to cook in it when she asked.  My husband and I wanting to make their time comfortable offered to move out to our 'tempered' garage guest area for the remaining night.  I say 'tempered' because this is Minnesota in February and the garage was only heated at 60 degrees.  They stated that seemed acceptable - so we moved out - it is our opinion that we went above and beyond doing this.

Three things -

1.  I think my site is clear in what it says - if you have a moment to look it over and tell me if I am missing something - I would appreciate it.  I would not ever offer my full cabin at the rates I offer the private rooms - https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15013881 

2.  I am at a loss on how to review this group.  She had five reviews from other hosts saying they would welcome her back.  While I was communicating with them, they were not responsive to me.  In addition, they clearly did not read my site.  I have no clue what or if they will do a review on me nor what it will look like.  I was disappointed to find they went through closets, took out extra pillows, sheets, blankets and even a sleeping bag - I had everything set up for five people to sleep.  I ended up with seven loads of laundry.  Thoughts?

Thank you

Linda Bechtold

10 Replies 10
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Linda272

It is clearly listed as a private room so I suppose this is a classic case of guests not reading the listing.  If they had cared to read the listing they would have got the picture, something they obviously did not do. 

I can see a couple of things that could lead to misunderstanding:

In the desription under access, there is nothing said about what guests have access too.

The listing offers 2 private baths, in the description is says that one is shared.  

When I switched to Instant Book I started my description with "please read the full listing description" and added the same in the pre-booking message. 

Perhaps tweak your listing description so that it is very clear what is on offer. To me it is a bit of a jumble, but I assume it is the upper floor of a two floor home while the shared kitchen is on the lower floor.

Guests do look at photos - perhaps use the photo captations to underline what is shared and what is semi-private.

Linda272
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

Thank you Marit Anne.  I'll look into my listing and massage the message as you've suggested plus add notes on the pictures.  You are correct, the 2nd level of the home is the private area.  The main floor is shared except for the master bedroom which is ours on the main floor.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Linda272 I would leave them an honest review: "Guest didn't read our property description so didn't understand that they weren't renting a whole house, and interaction was uncomfortable as a result. I wouldn't host this family again." Give them 3 stars maximum for communication and give them a thumbs down.

Your listing is absolutely clear about what is being offered: it says private room, and the arrangements are clearly listed in the text. Some people just don't read. I think you went way beyond by moving out to the garage, as they were clearly at fault in this situation. It is definitely not your responsibility to verify that your guest knows what they're booking after they have instant booked: they should have read your listing properly, and if they had questions, they should have asked.

Regarding pillows and blankets being pulled out, I wouldn't mention it. If guest have access to it and they use it, I don't think you can really fault them.

Alexandra - thank you for your insight.  It was very helpful.  I think your right about the bedding though it was irksome for a three night stay - it wouldn't have been available if I hadn't moved out.  However, it wasn't the most annoying part of this - Them acting as if I did something wrong in my rental details was upset for both myself and my husband.  They seemed like nice people.  I am choosing to believe it was an honest error rather than intentional.  I believe I am going to use your exact wording for my review of them.  Should they give me a negative review - I'll duplicate it there as well.  For the most part my Airbnb guests have been wonderful.  Thank you again.

@Linda272 No problem! Sorry for your bad experience: your place looks lovely, and it seems like your guests love it!

And it may have been an honest error, but they could have checked the listing, said "Oh my goodness, you're right! I'm an idiot for not reading!" and laughed about it, rather than being asses about it. We all make mistakes, but it's not acceptable for someone to hold you responsible for their error.

You are great!  Thank you again for your help.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

"I'm sorry the listing was not clear.  Of course I will refund your remaining evenings, should you leave".

Then, I call Airbnb to kick them out. They are thieves and bullies.

Do not move out because they are manipulating you.

Sorry for this awful experience

Linda272
Level 2
Minnesota, United States

Thanks Paul - that's exactly how my husband and I felt as this was taking place.  They've been gone for two days now but it still is bugging me.  Thankfully, my guests over the last year have been otherwise wonderful.  It's been helpful having someone check-in immediately after them that is more than thrilled with our offerings.  I think once the review process is over, I'll be able to put their memory behind me. 

Wow @Linda272! Your story is really and truely an example of going above and beyond for guests. If it were me I would have done something along the lines of what @Paul154 said and I probably would have pulled out the itinerary and/or site to show them where it states "private room" (I always keep a print out of the full itinerary with details once I get confirmed reservations). Knowing myself I'd probably do a polite smirk and rub it in by pointing out "You must have missed this. Here. At the top. Where it says Private Room. Oh look~ here it is again. See where it says private loft area and shared with hosts??? Here it is again. See where the description says we are sharing our home." before kicking them.

You should definitely mention this in your review and give them 2~3 stars and a thumbs down.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Agree with others and like to add that whenever guests try to lay unfairly the fault on you (the usual, it is always 'someone else's fault'), do not hesitate to counter with an attitude toward them of - 'What do you have to be mad about?'

Having said that - I would go over your listing with a fine-tooth comb and try to detect anything that may give someone (even idiots) a misconception. Best to be explicit and stay on the positive side of caution.