[UPDATED April 10] How hosts can provide housing for COVID-19 responders

Airbnb
Official Account

[UPDATED April 10] How hosts can provide housing for COVID-19 responders

Responders.jpeg

Many of you have expressed an interest in hosting healthcare staff, and first responders on the front lines. So we wanted to let you know about a new program we launched to help you do just that. Airbnb is partnering with our hosts to connect 100,000 COVID-19 healthcare staff and first responders with comfortable and convenient places to stay. 

We know you might be wondering how the Frontline Stays program works, whether or not your space is eligible, and how to apply. We’ve answered these questions and more at Airbnb.com/COVID. If you’re interested in applying for the program, you can do so using the online form at Airbnb.com/COVID19relief

As always, we appreciate the resilience and generosity of hosts in the Airbnb community. We know this is a challenging time for so many of you, and your desire to help others is such an inspiration. Thank you again for all you do!

Updated April 10, 2020

We’re so inspired by your enthusiasm for the new Frontline Stays program! We know you still have questions about how it works, so we wanted to take a moment to answer some of them here.

What kinds of guests can I expect to host as part of the Frontline Stays program?

Tens of thousands of COVID-19 responders around the world are looking for temporary housing right now. Many are nurses and doctors traveling to impacted areas to support local hospital staff, medical staff burdened by long commutes and back-to-back shifts, and relief workers who are exposed to patients every day and are concerned for the health of their families—especially those with elderly parents or infants at home. 

I’ve blocked off my calendar but want to help. How long should I leave my calendar open to participate in the program? 

We recommend opening up your calendar through July 31, 2020. Keep in mind that there’s only one calendar associated with your listing. Dates you make available can potentially be reserved by any guest, whether or not they’re a COVID-19 responder. If you only want to host COVID-19 responders at this time, you’ll need to turn off Instant Book so you have more control over who can reserve your space. The normal penalties associated with declining bookings don’t apply to requests from responders, so you don’t have to worry about that. 

Who can book through this program?

Healthcare staff and first responders must be either affiliated with partner organizations or reviewed by Airbnb prior to check-in. This process helps ensure responders have a COVID-19 work assignment and are familiar with safety protocols. If Airbnb is unable to confirm a guest's COVID-related work prior to check-in, the reservation will be canceled.  

How will I know if a guest is a COVID-19 responder? 

These guests will have a special COVID-19 designation on their booking requests and confirmations. So whether you have Instant Book turned on or not, you’ll be able to identify COVID-19 responders right away.

How should I price my space?

Many COVID-19 responders who are signing up through our program are in need of free or deeply discounted listings because they’re paying out of pocket for their stays. If you can offer COVID-19 responders a space for free, please consider doing so. 

If you’re not currently hosting on Airbnb but want to provide free stays for COVID-19 responders, sign up for the program here

If you’re already a host on Airbnb, sign up to host COVID-19 responders here—you’ll be able to set the price at your full rate, at a discount, or for free.

How do I set a discounted rate for COVID-19 responders?

If you’re a host with an active listing on Airbnb, you can set a discount for COVID-19 responders when you sign up to host healthcare staff and first responders. If you don’t have a listing yet but you’d like to help, create a new Airbnb listing first and then sign up to set a discounted rate for responders.

Once you set a discount, we’ll automatically apply it to reservations made by COVID-19 responders only, and you’ll get the price breakdown when you receive the booking request or Instant Book reservation. Please keep in mind that your calendar won’t reflect the discounted price for COVID-19 responders.

I’m trying to opt in with a discounted rate, and it’s not letting me. Why is that?

Thanks for your feedback on this issue. There was a technical issue with the opt-in experience for some regions, but that should be fixed now. If you’re still having trouble with this, please let us know in the comments.

We want to remind you that we’ve answered even more questions in our Resource Center article, so please check that out for additional information about the program.

132 Replies 132
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Airbnb this is great. Thank you for taking this positive step.

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

Options to offering housing for first responders however providing it for "only a waiver of booking fee" would create a hardship, especially considering additional cleaning.

I would like to offer housing to first responders and have some conditions. #1-I would offer housing for half my normal rate. #2-I need to negotiate cleaning issues, for example I would not conduct extra cleanings besides check in & check out and might ask guests to strip the beds. #3-I would like proof of responder status at local hospital or a TBD-mile vicinity. Do we have any flexibility besides what AIRBNB currently offers to hosts?

@Beth44 if you read the program description it says "During the opt-in process, you’ll be able to set your price at your full rate, at a discounted rate, or for free." Also, you have to agree that you will not have contact with the guest or enter the listing during their stay.

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/want-to-house-covid-19-responders-heres-how-164

I've offered mine for just a cleaning fee. It will give me the opportunity to help my cleaner with income.

I want to do this, but I can't figure out how to set it up for just a cleaning fee. 

Have them send check to your cleaners directly

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Tanya6
Level 2
Denver, CO

I would like to offer my property at a discounted rate for the month of April only. I am close to 4 hospitals. Am I able to do this? 

I had the same question. 

@Airbnb I did not see the option to offer at a discounted rate!  Where do I find that?  I have opted in already.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Lisa723 I could only choose hosting for free or full price

@Airbnb @Inna22 @Yiwei3 @Tanya6 @Beth44 it sounds like the software is not in compliance with the stated policy. (I haven't completed the process yet, pending agreement with my co-host and cleaners.)

@Lisa723 Yeah, doesn't sound like it.  It does seem like they're trying to get it out there first and get it on the media.  I'll check back tomorrow and see if it's updated.

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

Covid hosting at discount rate 3rd try. What’s up? When I hit button from link it takes me again to my listing with No link option