Unable to decline a reservation request

Barbara63
Level 1
The Hague, Netherlands

Unable to decline a reservation request

Hello,

Today I am unable to decline a reservation request. The button "decline" is not enabled, a sit appears light red. Tried to contact Airbnb but can't find a way to email or call them. Anyone knows? I have of course responded to the guests but still it shows as an open reservation request.

Many thanks!

Barbara

18 Replies 18

I don't think there's any harm to leave it open as long as you have responded to it. Your response rate won't go down and the guest won't be able to book.

They probably might be pushing some updates, so you can try after a few hours to check if it has started working.

Good day 🙂

Elsa9
Level 1
Denmark, Australia

Same here, I am unable to decline a booking request, the 'decline' button is pale and unresponsive.

I have sent the guest a message, but as far as I know Airbnb do penalize you if you haven't either accepted or declined within 24 hours ... but there seems to be nothing I can do.  I am unable to reach Airbnb directly to make them aware of the system error.

Does anyone know how to contact Airbnb?

Or how to sort this issue?

Thanks,

Warm Regards,

Elsa

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Elsa9 and @Barbara63,

Lovely to meet you both. Just to let you know, a few other hosts in the CC are experiencing a similar sounding issue to the one you mention here. I am trying to collate information on this, which I am passing over to the tech team. If you are able to let me know what browser you are in/or if you are using the app, plus how long this has been like this for that would be fantastic. I will continue to let hosts know if I hear any updates with this.

Thanks so much. 🙂 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hi Lizzie,

any news about how to decline a reservation request when using Firefox or Safari?

How about the penalty when we haven't either accepted or declined within 24 hours?  Does this penalty apply even when we are unable to decline?

I'd love to hear back from you,

Thanks,

Elsa

I don't think the browser matters. I"m using Chrome and am also unable to decline a guest.  I CAN click on "decline" on the first page that prompts me to approve or decline, but then I'm sent to a page asking me to type in a reason. I thought maybe there's a minimum or max word count, but that isn't the problem. The word "decline" continues to be whited out, so I can't use it. 

I'm going to answer my own post because there is no option to delete it. I figured out the mistake I was making. 

When a host clicks on the "preapprove/decline" option, they are sent to another page where they can choose to preapprove OR decline. When the host clicks on "Decline" there is a page that appears asking for a reason. There is also an empty box beneath the part asking for a reason. The mistake I was making was that I assumed I was supposed to type my reason in that box, but the host is actually supposed to choose a reason from the pulldown menu of reasons. Once the host chooses from the listed reasons, THEN they can decline. The empty box appears to be there ONLY if the host chooses "other" as a reason. 

It appears my reply a few days ago didn't get posted.

I am using Firefox, but also tried Safari.  Both exactly the same problem.

I am still concerned about the penalty when not having accepted or declined within 24 hours.

Thanks, hoping to hear from you soon,

Elsa

Hi Lizzie:

I am also unable to decline a reservation request due to software malfunction.  The decline is pale and inactive.  I have using Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox and both systems are the same.  I've logged out waited and re-attempted without success.  I contacted Airbnb well over 8 hours ago and they were also unable to submit my decline.  They said someone would get in touch with me... and as stated that was well over 8 hours ago.

I re-contacted airbnb after 4 hours and was told there was nothing they could do as has been "elevated" but she would put a "higher priority" on this.  I've also sent an email.

I sent the inquirer a message explaining that I was unable to accomoadate his request and as such was declining his inquiry ... and that there was a glitch in the airbnb software which prevented me going through the system.

Please advise.  This has been a very frustrating experience.

Thanks for your assistance

Danielle

I am unable to decline a request. The Decline button is not enabled.

Kim238
Level 4
Memphis, TN

I  don't think the browser has anything to do with it. Either it's a malfunction, or we're all missing something else that we're supposed to be doing, such as, perhaps, AirBnB isn't allowing us to decline because our calendar is open?  or because someone else has applied??   I do want to add that I CAN click on the "Decline" on the first page that prompts me to do so, but it then sends me to a page asking me to give a reason. THAT is the page where the "decline" doesn't work, so we're stuck there with nowhere to go.  If I'm failing to notice some other rule that is preventing me from declining, then I need to know what that is, as I'm clearly not the only one having this problem. 

Selena25
Level 1
Miami Beach, FL

I also cannot decline the request and I believe my apartment no longer shows available in the listings while this reservation request is still open.  I did decline the request earlier today but now the decline button is whited out and the request still shows as an "inquiry". One of my request is allowing me to provide a reason for declining and others are not and are leaving the requests as an "inquiry" even though I cannot rent to them. It appears airbnb has a serious bug here and does not appreciate it's customers enough to provide a way for us to contact them over their computer issues?  Seriously!!!  THIS IS WRONG!!! Please help!

I have been trying to decline a request since last night. I get sent to a "are you sure" page, which is a new one for me... Maybe it comes before the 'reason' page? But the decline button won't work, both on my phone and computer (chrome). I don't want to lose my rating over this!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Rebecca277  Call AirBnB and get them to decline and figure out why this happening.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

For Superhosts (they will verify you):

North America: +1-647-945-9627 +1.888.326.5753

I have been trying to decline a reservation request all day.  It's infuriating.  It just won't accept. I am brand new and worried this will mar my profile