We want to cancel a booking without losing our Superhost status

Ayesha-and-Tom0
Level 1
Malton, United Kingdom

We want to cancel a booking without losing our Superhost status

We have arranged for friends to stay over in two months time and not realising we have a double booking the same day. Ideally we need that booking cancelled as we don't want to ruin the guests stay with a house full of our friends and vise Versa. It isn't an ideal situation and we have never cancelled any of our bookings so we are worried we will loose our Superhost status by doing so. We have directly contacted the couple to give them warning that the dates are no longer available but they refuse to cancel on their end (which would obviously ensure we kept our Superhost status). Any suggestions?

10 Replies 10
Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

Hello @Ayesha-and-Tom0,

If you cancel due to reasons other than "extenuating circumstances" (fire, serious illness, flooding, etc), you will lose super host status.  You may also be fined a penalty.  You will also have those dates blocked for further booking (although this will likely not bother you, as you do not want to re-rent the space).

If the guests don't want to cancel, you can either cancel and take the penalty, or you can just let them know that the huse will be full and festive.  I had guests (personal friends) here once at the same time as Airbnb guests.  As long as people are well aware of what they are coming into, it should be OK.  

Always best to let them know, however, ASAP.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

Put your friends up somewhere for the night(s).

I would be absolutely LIVID if a host asked me to cancel over something like this.

I'd be livid too. First come, first served. If a host ditched my booking in lieu of friends staying, I'd expect them to professionally solve the problem for me.

Put me up in a decent hotel for those days at the least.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ayesha-and-Tom0

Ayesha, don't cancel, simple as that! The long term ramifications from cancelling will far outway any benefit! Guests tend  to avoid hosts who cancel and that cancellation posting will stay on your review page forever.

What you are talking about does not fall under the extenuating circumstances umbrella....you are simply double booked and that is it!

Now what you have here is a damage minimisation problem....what is going to affect you least in the long term!

Firstly, although your guest has stated the booking is to remain firm it may be worth trying to make them an offer they can't refuse....explain again the situation and offer them a special price of say 50% if they would be prepared to bend a bit on their dates.

It is amazing what a substantial discount does to people, and I know, it costs but, that cost is the lesser of the evils here!

If they still stand firm and will not budge, say OK, it is going to be squeezy but as a host cancellation is not an option we will do it and do our best to make you welcome.

Now this will do one of two things...it will force them to cancel because the situation is unacceptable to them, or they will come regardless but give you a caning in the review process....and frankly Ayesha and Tom, I think that would be the preferable path.

Remember as long as you tell ABB that you are not prepared to cancel for any reason on your end, they will not penalise you, they may think is isn't quite right but they won't penalise you!

Secondly, are the friends willing to be flexible on dates, could some compromise be reached that would allow your friends to come at a time that fits in with your booking.

Without knowing more details of the situation....the length of stay.....amount of room available these are the only suggestions I can offer!

Hope you can sort it out.

Cheers.....Rob

Thanks so much Rob that was honestly so helpful for us. We have taken your advise and spoke directly to our guests, it's never comfortable but if it keeps our r record intact it is definitely worth it!

tna ks

agim.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ayesha-and-Tom0

your guests maybe don't know that if they cancel they will get full refund including service fee from Airbnb (if you don't have strict cancellation policy) so explain that to them. And of course tell them that the house will be full of friends with children so if that don't bothers them they are free to stay 🙂

Keep all communication over ABB messiges in case they will have any complaints and want a refund after their stay.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Ayesha-and-Tom0

Why don't you just ask your friends to come at another time. Surely the easiest solution?

As a superhost I am sure you would want to do the right things by your guests and not ask them to change their arrangements because you have made a mistake.

@Helen3, Ay. Men.!!!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

If guests don't want to cancel, even after you have explained that they will not be penalized, that is their choice.

A contract is a contract.

As for making their stay unpleasant by overcrowding, that is deceitful.

The only ethical alternative is to sweeten the pot ($$) to rescind your agreement with them.

You have to find them acceptable alternative lodging. Look to a neighboring Airbnb. Find one that is better than yours and offer to pay the difference.

It is not Airbnb's responsibility or the guests responsibility to appease your desire to change a contract.

You must convince them by not leaving them inconvenienced.

Matthew175
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

If it were up to me you'd lose Superhost status for even asking this question.