Welcome book

Karen1338
Level 1
Warragul, Australia

Welcome book

Hi there, I am new to hosting and would like to put a welcome book together. Any ideas of must include items would be greatly appreciated.. TIA 🙂 

9 Replies 9
Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Karen1338, I have one of those display folders with plastic sleeves containing information in different sections.The first page displayed is a basic list of the important house rules as well as Wifi information. In the other sleeves, labelled by category, I have included a list of nearby facilities (e.g. laundromats, supermarkets, banks, etc.), street maps, places to eat and drink (with some takeaway menus), wineries, walking and cycling trails, tour brochures (e.g. whale watching, river cruises, etc.), national parks, bus timetables, and other tourist information (e.g. museums, etc.) Most of this stuff I picked up from the local visitor centre - they are usually happy for you to take a handful of stuff for tourists. Hope that helps!

Karen1338
Level 1
Warragul, Australia

Thank you, yes all helpful. 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Karen1338

My opinion is that the most important is house manual. We have guests from all over the world and we noticed they struggle with european locks, wooden double windows, gas stove top, faucets even Ikea rolo blinds, not to mention Tv and A/C controller,  heating thermostat etc.... You will soon discover such things at your place and will include this informations in your welcome map.... and the list will grow 😄

Karen1338
Level 1
Warragul, Australia

Thank you, yes thinking I need to do step by step turning on oven, dishwasher ac etc.. and how to set up sofa bed.

@Karen1338yes , and the best is if you explain it with photos or pictures, like Ikea 😄 Not all guests speak english well

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Karen1338

It is a proven fact guests do not study house rules and when they arrive they are not really inclined to wade through yet more literature. I started off with a substantial welcome book of how to operate this and that, where to eat, what to buy. walking trails, cycleways, where to buy booze....even the weather forecast for the duration of their stay! 

Guess what, nobody ever read it! They have already seen your house rules and things to observe on the reservation confirmation! They have already got your welcome message.

You are better off with a nice binder with one page tastefully done, welcoming them to your home in as fewer words as possible and have a nice little cellophane wrap of chocolates or mints sitting on top in a little pink bow, same colour as the Airbnb logo.

They will think how thoughful you are, and really appreciate the gesture. You are not trying to ram anything else down their throats!

By all means have a rack with brochures of all manner of stuff that they can browse if they want to....local taxis, restaurant business cards, fine. Have the WiFi log-on and password on the wall....have a little card alongside your condiments which simply says ....'Help yourself'. Have a small arrow alongside the air con control....'Push here'!!

But make the welcome book just that......a welcome note, and leave it at that.

Although I have an Airbnb Guest book, I don't put that out in the cottage. My feeling is once a guest has put some comments in that book they will have done their bit and be less likely to leave a review.....the reaction will be....god, not more stuff I have to attend to, I have already said how I feel!

Karen, put yourself in the guests shoes...what would you like to come in to.

Cheers......Rob

Loving the guidance and support on here, thank you so much 🙂

Michael1990
Level 2
Englewood, FL

I prepare a half-sized booklet that I have in both electronic form prior to the visit and a hard-copy that is customized with their name on the front (just the hard-copy). It consists of 20 pages starting with location information (beach, state park, restaurants). Then covers how to use the TV, house rules, door code and less convenient, but oft needed shopping. Finally we rent bikes and offer a sailboat cruise so it has that info as well. If you'd like a link to the flipbook which adds a couple of videos, I'd be glad to send it.

I'd like to see your book. How would I do that?

Thanks,

Karin