What are your pet peeves as a host?

Irina47
Level 6
Portland, OR

What are your pet peeves as a host?

At the risk of sounding high maintenance I would like to hear from other hosts about their teeny pet peeves that, in the grand spectrum of guests every month, turn into giant paint-in-the-you-know-what annoyances. I’m talking about a pattern of something guests do, maybe it’s weekly, or monthly, but you as a host come across it enough for it to drive you crazy.

Especially those hosts who deal with their guests and property personally. Those of us who don’t have cleaning people, those that selected and purchased every item in your space by hand and even to the smallest washing cloth, you really care about each item you place in the space you offer.

I have a simple room in my home that I Airbnb out. It’s been just under a year and I can’t complain as so far I’ve had pretty wonderful guests. However, every few weeks, I do get a guest that sleeps in their make-up. Once they checkout, the pillows and sheets have make-up residue such as mascara or foundation on them. These products are SO hard to wash out. The makeup issue extends to my towels also. I’ll leave specific small washcloths to be used but still I get guests who insist on removing their makeup into my fluffy hand towels and the stains are permanent. At this point I think I’m going to invest in some makeup removing towelettes and leave them in the room to encourage a clean face.

So what code of conduct do you wish to see in your guests? Maybe you’ve found a good way to combat a reoccurring peeve of your own? I would love to know.

63 Replies 63
Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Irina

Pet peeve is the Virtue Signaller, followed by the entitled guest.

Finally biggest peeve of the lot,are the vague guest reviews written by some hosts in "double speak"..... For goodness sake spit it out Man!

Debbie338
Level 3
Oberaurach, Germany

Moving furniture around and not putting it back.. I’ve had several furniture movers lol .. and removing the ceiling window sun cover..and not putting it back ..

re: makeup, I have a canister thing with those disposable round makeup pads (cosmetic pads?) and one with qtips ..I haven’t really had to deal with a bad makeup stain but I had one big stain from someone using something like Proactive wash that bleached out the wash cloth 

i think I’ve been kind of lucky in that area .. 

Mine: (Note the majority of my guests have been fabulous and fun so I'm learning from a friend in the hotel business to develop a thick skin.)

1. Eating on the couch and leaving crumbs under the cushions (I check both sides for the stains.

2. Eating food in the cabinet clearly not left for them.

3. Having a few friends over (with my permission) and assuming it means consuming all the reserve stock of sparkling water, snacks, paper plates, etc.

4. The couple who slept in every bed in the apartment (3) when I assumed we would only have to clean a single bedroom..

5. The family with kids that moved furniture around, did loads of laundry for several days after a long road trip, left crumbs on my wool rugs and dining room table, cleared out all the snacks and sparkling waters in the reserve cabinet to take with them on the road at checkout but told Airbnb my kitchen was dirty and had ants (It didn't) - then suggested privately for the low price they paid that I should get new landscaping. (Going to be grubling about that for a long time).

6. Moving all my things in the kitchen around so I can't find anything in the cabinets anymore.

BIGGEST PET PEEVE.

!. guests who leave great notes in the guest book but forget to leave reviews on the Airbnb platform.

2. guests who are listed as "superhosts" but turn out to be the most inconsiderate, filthy guests themselves.

Sigh!!!!

(being a host has made me aware of how to be a great guest when I book on the platform).

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Irina47

-Dishes that are obviously not washed but still put in the drying rack

-Runaway outlet covers that I have to seach for after someone doesn't pop them back in

-Taking (not using) all of the random tiny rolls of toilet paper that I have "for emergencies" under the kitchen sink