What are your plans for the quieter season?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What are your plans for the quieter season?

Winter Season.jpg

Hello everyone,

Here in the CC, our community is based in places all over the world and so for those of you in the southern hemisphere, I imagine you might be looking at the title of this post and going..."quiet season?...what's that?"  but I hope you will stick with me here! 🙂

For many hosts this time of year means the start of a quieter season, and for many a time to relax and catch up on those jobs you have been putting off. Have you got any holidays planned or events you are wanting to go to? Perhaps you have time to work more on your hobbies or perhaps your kitchen needs a painting!

If you are going into a busy season, it would be great to hear how you have used your quieter season? 

How do you use yours?

Very curious to read your ideas!

Thanks,
Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

35 Replies 35
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie Not having guests every single night is going to be nice. Having the house completely to ourselves will be refreshing. Even though guests are in their own space, you need to be aware of how much noise you're making if they're there.

I'm doing some courses this winter, so I will probably be using my "extra" time for that.

In the flat, I also plan on adding a dishwasher and doing some repainting this winter, probably in January or February, depending on how reservations are looking.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Sounds lovely @Alexandra316 and I agree, however great it is to have guests, it is sometimes nice to have the house to yourself. Especially for those times when you want to sing very loudly in the shower (perhaps this is just me!). 🙂

Aww amazing, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of courses are you doing? That's a great way to spend some "extra" time. 

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie For sure! Sometimes it's good to let loose, and not many people appreciate dancing overhead!

It's a physics course.

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

I just joined AirBnB as a host at the end of August, so I'm not familiar with the quiet season (in fact, I've only had 1 week where I didn't have someone in the house!).  That being said, I'm asuming you mean winter in the Northern Hemisphere.

My plan, however, is that I'm having my cousin, who is a general contractor, update my kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, and second entrance.  I'm going to love it, and I'm sure my dog will!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Very nice to meet you @Daniel1992.

Yeah, this is very true. Some hosts have guests all year around, I don't know when they manage to take time to relax or catch-up on those needed jobs. Perhaps they have to do all those jobs in express time to fit it in. 

Your renovation projects sound exciting. Is it quite a big job?

--------------------

It's going to be.  He always rips everything down to the studs and rebuilds because it's easie and safer to do so.  The layout isn't going to change (much), but it'll at least be done correctly the first time.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Quiet season is Tuesday, ends Wednesday. Just kidding. If there's a quiet season here, it is perhaps a bit more quiet in Nov and Feb. I plan to touch up some paintwork and do a major tidy in the shed!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Well I hope you have some amazing plans for Tuesday @Sandra126 🙂 It is interesting to hear Nov and Feb are your quiet times, I suppose everyone is either building up to the holiday season or recovering from it. 

I actually think February is my least favourite month in the UK, it's when the weather usually really kicks in and you are sick of the cold. Every year I think, I should book a trip away to brighten up the month! 

A major shed tidy up sounds impressive. 🙂 Is this a yearly job?

--------------------

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Lizzie, no, the shed is the last job  left over after I finished building my garden bedroom. I just threw all kinds of mess into the shed. I even built shelves in it but haven't moved in in any orderly fashion... It was a year ago. About time!

Heather398
Level 2
Rockport, MA

I started with Airbnb on Memorial Day weekend and have been busy most of the time. In my area we are seasonal so it looks like November thru March will be my time to make adjustments to the 2 rooms I list in my home. I also want ro reevaluate how my first season went and see what I can do to improve things for both myself and my guests.

I have to say that it has been a terrific experience so far and I am glad I made the decision to become an Airbnb Host. I have appreciatd all the help I received from reading the community center conversations.

I think I am going to miss having people in my home.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww, this is wonderful to hear you are enjoying hosting so much @Heather398 and you are liking the Community Center. 🙂

I think it's great you plan to take time to look back and evaluate your first season, it is often so easy to keep going and not have time to reflect and think about all the guest experiences you have hosted. 

Do you think there will be a lot of things you are going to adjust in your rooms?

--------------------

I want to adjust some of the furniture that I have in the 2 rooms and also want to hunt for a few things to add to the rooms. I'd also like to buy 2 more luggage racks. It is surprising to me how much luggage some guests bring with them.

Really just small changes that will make the experience a little better for the guests. I plan on making a professional looking guest book over the winter. I would like to have something that looks good and provides the guests with lots of tourist information while they are visiting the area. I am not very good with a computer so I knew I wouldn't have one ready for when I launched my 2 listings in May but I do hope to have one for next year. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I now get to walk half naked around my house. 

My kitchen counter is a disaster and I don't care.

It's lonely, but the change is wonderful. So much painting to do...

Bathroom remodel... 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Umm....well it's good to feel mildly free now and again @Paul154 🙂

Sounds like you are going to be busy with your jobs. What are you going to do to your bathroom?

--------------------