What happens after you tell Airbnb you don't want to host a guest in the future?

What happens after you tell Airbnb you don't want to host a guest in the future?

We just had our first bad experience with a guest, which really wasn't as bad as some people's experiences that I have seen on the community chat!

None-the-less, the guest did not follow the rules:  completely disrespected our check-out time (which had already been extended by 5 1/2 hours); left trash inside the house on the floor of the kitchen in various bags (when they had been requested to leave it outside in the trash can), left the air-conditioners running after they left;  did not close doors or windows when they left the house; stained a brand new bed cover and didn't tell us and didn't advise us about the other guests that were staying in the house - they told us only two guests were staying but there were in fact 4 (for security purposes in the neighbourhood, we have to request the names of all the guests).

I wrote a short diplomatic review that they had not followed the rules and there was some damage, clicked less stars for all the ratings and clicked the NO to "would you host this guest again".

The guest was clearly unaware that they had done anything wrong ....  they said the house was amazing and wanted to book again for next weekend!  (Thankfully it's fully booked!!!). 

I can very happily do without guests like this, when there are so many really lovely people that we have had the absolute pleasure of hosting, many of whom you would not have even known they had been in our house! 

What I need to know is, can I be absolutely 100% sure that I will not get this guest booking again?   Will Airbnb put a flag against them and prevent them from being able to book my house?  I don't want to be the one to cancel them if they do manage to book again because that will be negative for my own ratings with Airbnb, so like the social channels, is it possible to Block them?   

Many thanks to the community for your guidance, insight and help.  All your help is so very much appreciated. 

Warm wishes to all.

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Suzy143 When you click 'would not host again', the guest is not able to instant book with you, but they can still send a request to book. The only option for making sure they can never contact you again would be to block them. Unfortunately, the only way Airbnb makes this possible is through the 'report' feature. You click the grey flag next to the guest name from within your message thread with them, then choose 'they are being offensive', continue on, and you should have the option to block at the end of the process. If you choose any other option, you won't be offered the block.

When I've used this feature to block someone I don't truly wish to report, I use the explanation field to iterate that, and ask Airbnb to create a better avenue to block people. They may wish to discourage blocking but it doesn't change the fact that sometimes it's necessary.

Hi there Colleen, thank you so much for your guidance and advice, very much appreciated.