What instructions are guests given on how to rate a host?

Richard292
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

What instructions are guests given on how to rate a host?

I’m pulling my hair out here.  I have three Airbnbs.  Two almost always rate 5*.  One, for some reason, despite being a better apartment, doesn’t quite cut it.

The first two are very central in Manchester - which is the main draw.  The third one is ten minutes walk away from the city centre.  THIS IS VERY CLEARLY STATED IN THE LISTING.

Recently a guest gave me a lower than normal rating and in private feedback suggested more attention was needed in the bathroom and kitchen.  This really puzzled me so I sent a polite message asking her to give me more direction so I may improve for future guests.  It’s worth noting that when I greet guests I say that they can call me at any time if anything needs my attention and I always message guests on day two to ask if everything is ok.

Her response was that the bathroom was fine.  She did not give me a high score for the kitchen because they did not use it so could not give it a high score. What?  Really?

Also, she said that the location was not central. Why am I being penalised for something that was accurately described in the listing?

Either the guest is too embarrassed to be honest with me is doesn’t appreciate how seriously most hosts take their ratings.

On top of that, I allowed her to check in early, leave late and went to the post office for her, before she arrived, to collect match tickets for her.  It’s things like this that makes me want to stick ridgely to the rules and no flexibility.  

Yes, I’m feeling peeved.  I would not normally feel too bothered, but when I see my rating slip for seeming no valid reason, it really sucks to keep taking these needless hits. 

Any thoughts or advice to share?  Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You already know the solution to your angst.

"It’s things like this that makes me want to stick ridgely to the rules and no flexibility.  "

I say "Charge more, care less"

Ironically, this attitude really does get a better quality guest - one who follows the rules and appreciates the business relationship.

I'm not saying don't go above and beyond. But doing favors may not bring your desired result, it may be an invitation to manipulation and loss of respect. 

Maybe I'm cynical...

Richard292
Level 2
Manchester, United Kingdom

Thanks for your insight, Paul. I think you’re right. It’s that fine balance by being too friendly and being vulnerable to manipulation and being more direct and maintaining control. Ugh! Charge more, care less. That is my new mantra. Of course, I’ll always offer exceptional standards, but I do think it’s time I upped the prices a little bit and get more appreciative guests.

Guests often ask about tickets being sent to my address in advance.  I don’t mind that but I do know I should not be the one running to the post office to sign for them if I am not in to accept them.  In future they can go to the post office.  I’m happy to direct them.  And I will be more rigid about check in/out times.  

Thanks for taking the time to reply.