What is a reasonable compensation for someone contracted for cleaning/hosting?

Wallace10
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

What is a reasonable compensation for someone contracted for cleaning/hosting?

I am thinking of hiring someone to help manage my airBNB - this would be someone I'd ask to clean between guests, to lets guests in/provide keys, and to be available to assist as needed while guests are in town.  What is a fair rate for this sort of thing?

I have heard of some hosts who pay an hourly rate, others who pay a percentage of the nightly rate.

My air BNB would be in Winnipeg in a desirable location

Winnipeg is a major Canadian city although less popular than Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal certainly

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Wallace10  Without being able to see the rental and no description of the space and size it would be difficult to say. Usually it's in the 20%-40% of nightly bookings with the cleaning added on to co-host/cleaner also. Who is going to be responsible for the bookings, inquires, pricing, restocking the rental, etc. that all factors in. Are you completely hands off or will you share in some of the responsiblity like all correspondence to potenial guests, the accounting, arranging for the general maintence and repairs, etc. You need to write up a list of what will be your duties and what will be the co-hosts/cleaner from that point a reasonable rate can be determined that is fair to both of you. 

Dominique663
Level 2
Winnipeg, Canada

@Wallace10 Hi Wallace! I'm a fellow Winnipeger, Airbnb host and guesthouse owner with lots of hospitality experience 🙂  Would love to chat about Airbnb management if you're still thinking of going that route. Feel free to contact me 

Hey Dominique!

WOuld love to hear more from you on your Airbnb management experiences, I am still planning on going that route and still don't have all the details arranged!

Do you do all your own hosting?

I am thinking I would most likely handle the confirmations but would not do the cleaning or checkin (I am away from Winnipeg a lot of the time)

Hi Wallace! I'd love to chat with you about your hospitality expereinces. I have a listing in Austin, TX and will be moving to Albuquerque, NM while wanting to maintain my Airbnb in Austin. Thank you! 

Krystal16
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Wallace10

It looks like you might just be starting out, I don't see any listing attached to your profile so I am not 100% sure on what type of listing you will be offering.  Also unclear on the amount of time you want to spend managing your own listing. 

However this is how I manage my own.  I have a cleaning company who does my cleaning $75 for the 3bdrm unit $55 for the 1 bdrm, they claim to specialize in Airbnb cleaning, I can book cleanings online and will do so once i get a booking myself, they allow a 24 hour cancelation or rescheduling without fee which is important as your guests might extend their stay last minute, you and your cleaners have to be flexible.  I have keypad check in, initial upfront cost of about $400 for purchase price and installation but well worth it since I don't have to meet anyone to let them in, a cheaper alternative would be a lock box about $40 from home depot.

I  just recently purchased the arlo security cameras which allows me to keep an eye on the entrances without driving over.  I also have an ecobee thermostat this allows me to change the temperature remotely from anywhere, I love it.  I manage my own  bookings I answer all questions my guests have and I try to do everything over the app.  Once you get into a good rhythm and over the initial hurdles it actually becomes pretty easy where it doesn't take alot of your time.  

If you are paying 20% to 40% of your booking plus the cleaning fee you will likely not cover your costs, at least that is for me, so I can't afford a cohost.  I do however have 2 cohosts, one is my niece and the other a good friend.  When I am out of town I pay my cohosts 10% of the booking for the nights they are covering, I also usually answer questions from my guests while I am out of town.  Recently I was in England on a family vacation and right now I have very high maintenance guests, because I knew this I paid my cohost 20% since I know how much a pain in the @$$ these guests are.  If you have a # of properties that you will be managing then I would suggest cohosts, however if it is only one or 2 units I would suggest seeing how technology can help you manage and keep the profits for yourself.

Hey Krystal

You are absolutely right that I am quite new to this.  This would be my first listing and is a bit of an experiment

It is a two bedroom two bathroom condo in downtown Winnipeg nicely furnished, fairly upscale - I am thinking 150/night based on other similar looking listings in the area

I am looking to NOT spend that much time managing it as I am away from Winnipeg almost all the time, and am much too busy with work to really spend much time managing this place.  

So I am pretty much need a co-host to help me out.  And they will have to do the majority of the work, I can handle hostings and bookings but would hardly ever be there to clean/check guests in/handle issues that arise.

I do have a friend who says she would be willing to do it for 20% plus the airbnb cleaning fee.  Overall I think that might be profitable for me.  I would definitely be happy to install some of those things you mention like remote camera and remote control.  I would love to install a remote access lock but that might not be OK with the condo board.  Will have to look into and explore that