What is so attractive about instant booking

Marie54
Level 3
Murdock, NE

What is so attractive about instant booking

Airbnb is about relationships and that has suited us well.

They like to push instant booking and I don't understand that because that is circumventing the relationship development.

I want to know about who is coming and what they plan to do while here - BEFORE I accept.  I had one person say they wanted to surprise their dad for his birthday and take him out to our place for shooting practice, and could they bring their friends..... (Pete's sake no!)

So I just wanted to ask the community of hosts... what am I missing about the value of instant booking?

5 Replies 5
Louis15
Level 1
Sandton, South Africa

Hi Marie

I believe the push for Instant Booking is based on the same principle hotels would use for booking management. Never have I seen a hotel refuse someone to make a reservation? This obviously means more money for Airbnb.

Personally I have not taken that step, as believe my initial connection with guests helps met determine their needs. Also, I rent out a private room in my apartment, so I want to know who guests are before allowing them into my living space. Maybe hosts that rent out entire units feel less worried about who is staying at their properties?

My 2 cents 🙂

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Marie54, the practical aspect is that it might  - though not necessarily - help fill some empty slots during a slow period. And there is a slight filtering possibility if you opt for the choice only to have guests who are verified and have been recommended by other hosts. 

For me, though, the downside is that it's still too unpredictable. Some hosts aren't always honest in their reviews (as they fear 'revenge' responses), plus some instant bookers (such as those mentioned in these forums) have been in strange circumstances, and ended up being problematic, especially for hosts who had no Security Deposit in place and unclear House Rules.

Also, because I have work and interests outside of AirBnB - I prefer to have a little advance notice of any bookings. I find that Enquires and Requests work best for me. 

I admit, though, three of my first bookings were Instant, and the guests were lovely. I only decided not to use the IB function after reading of others' experiences here.

If you do go the Instant Book route, make sure you indicate a hefty enough Security Deposit to cover possible damage to the premises, and have comprehensive, clear, and firm House Rules shown in your listing. I note that you have neither in place. Provide a copy of the House Rules as well in your accommodation. You could also re-state them in your letter of welcome to the guest. 

I had Instant Book on last year and found that it made no difference in the amount of bookings that I received. I turned it off because I want to screen guests more carefully now and also because I now have my listing on other sites and people know about it locally. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I tell someone that my listing is available and then get home to my computer to find out that those dates were just booked! I suppose a part of my decision, also, was the fact that I could not use the Airbnb android app on my phone anymore....after many tries and fixes it still doesn't work properly so I am not up-to-date with reservations unless I'm at my computer.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There is nothing attractive about instant booking - no chance to speak to people who are staying in your property - no understanding as to why they are staying there, what they intend to do..etc..

I would like to opt out of instant booking...it's always a surprise and I would rather know who is coming and decide for myself if I want them as guests or not.  How do I do this??