What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

What's on your pre-check-in checklist?

Checklist.jpg

Hello everyone,

When you're preparing for your guests there's lots to think about. From ensuring you've cleaned every nook and cranny to checking there's enough toilet roll, it's easy to forget things! If you're anything like me you like keeping on top of things with a list.  

Do you have a checklist you follow when preparing for your next guests? If so what's on it?

It will be great to compare lists!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

158 Replies 158

I don't like the smell of lavendar either, but it is important to spray some deodorizer prior to the next guest.  You may not be able to smell an odor because you have been there but any smelly smell is a bad first impression for guests and it is so easy to prevent!  Most guests won't say anything but it simply isn't the best way to start a reservation. 

Lysol or something helps get rid of various odors but more important leave a nice fresh scent to help improve first impression and sense of cleanliness when the guest arrives the first time! 

We rent an entire cabin in Utah mountains where people cook and also have pets.  Those two things and body odor, feet/shoes lingers for a long time, especially when all doors/windows are locked up tight afterwards.  The housekeeper cleans after every check-out but then locks up, closing all odors inside.  Hence, i tell them to spray every room in hopes to eliminate any lingering odors and bad first impressions.

I open the windows, even when it's cold to air out the place. I also use Lysol as a preventative measure against germs.

I use "nilodor" spray which is a deoderizor rather than a scent. One spray in each room near the ceiling and open the windows for cross ventilation.

2 hours?!? jeez, your cleaning fee must be astronomical! 

personally, i like to leave doors open, I love the flow of fresh air and sunlight going through the rooms. closed doors feels like everyone is shutting each other out 😞 

So how long does it take you Shaunti?

Cleaning the bathroom alone takes me three quarters of an hour

It can take me 20  minutes if a guest has been amazingly clean to 3 hours if they have not been. I have several sets of sheets and pillowcases/bedspreads/duvets for a quick change. So it's basically cleaning the bathroom and a vacuum and mop of the cottage as well as wiping down surfaces. I always keep kitchen items on hand as well . I stock the fridge with English muffins, milk, and kitchen with cereal, oatmeal coffee/tea. I think, for me,  it's about having everything I need backed up and  in place so I can do a quick change. When I have down time I do things like the fan blades and ac/heat filter/ dehumidifier filter etc.

@Shaunti0  Like Kim, I am also curious. It takes me an hour and a half to thoroughly clean and prepare my small single guest room and their private bathroom. Perhaps we have different standards of cleanliness.

Great ideas. Just curious about what you include in the mini bar. 

Very well ordered  list. Thanks.

Katie I love your list and your routine. I have holiday 3 cottages and with a good system we are much less likely to forget something. I use a large clear PVC tub and pack it ready in advance for each cottage with linen, towels, toilet roll, soaps etc. My cleaning kit has things like bin liners and cloths etc.

On change-over day it's all at hand. Ventilate first with all windows open to change the air. I always clean starting the furthest from the door, top to bottom and back to front. That way there is no need to go over anywhere I've already been, and like you, I close the door as each room is done.

Then I just need to pop in at the last minute with some fresh bakery products, homemade jam, milk and fresh flowers.

I'm going to borrow your idea of the welcome book open on the first page. How lovely!

Thanks Julie

This one is very detailed, thanks for sharing this because even for me at a hotel i find it very empowering to follow through.

Thank you so much, Kate! 

Our routines are very similar:)

kika and I have a house together but I have 1 suite downstairs that’s a small suite with fridge and a counter like in a hotel. I may be slow but it takes me 3 hours to clean/wash. It takes longer for all the laundry as well! I change covers on decorative pillows and wash the extra blanket. I can never tell if it was used or not!  I also use a natural lavender spray and my guests love it. 

I am slower than my cleaners by at least 1 hour. They are half my age (that’s my excuse lol)! Thank you for taking the time to write your list 🙂 I need to check the posts here more often! Cheers!

Please skip the lavender.  I never return to places that have artificial smells.

Great list...I do pretty much the same thing and now I will create my Welcome Sign. I too love hosting!

Hi Kate,

I just read your note on preparing for guests.  It sounds like we do much the same steps in preparing for guests.  I too, rent a room in my home and during the summer months stay quite busy with one night stays which I love. Having people sharing my home makes for wonderful interactions with my guests.  If you ever want to try a slower pace yet very interesting I would love to host you in Astoria,OR (about 3-4 hours from Seattle).  

Thanks for you input,

LuAnne