Which causes do you care about? Do you volunteer?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Which causes do you care about? Do you volunteer?

Cause you care about.jpg

Hello everyone,

Several of us dedicate some of our spare time to volunteer for a cause that we care about, whether that’s helping the elderly, cleaning up litter or working on community garden projects.

There are so many different ways we can volunteer our time to help others and protect our environment. (Personally I volunteered for a long time at a hospital radio station, where we use to go around the wards and talk to patients and get their favourite music requests. Now I go litter picking in my local area, to prevent rubbish getting into the river!)

Which causes do you care about? Do you volunteer locally?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

53 Replies 53
Lynn330
Level 2
Akron, OH

I am an animal lover, and support and volunteer at Happy Tails Thrift Shop which supports the Summit County Humane Society.  It’s a way to help the animals without taking them all home. 😊

Sian13
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

I love volunteering for a local. Charity that support children and their families through crises.its called Safe Families for Children 

Lynn24
Level 2
Knoxville, TN

Hi Lizzy, 

Here in Knoxville TN we volunteer weekly for several non profit organizations that reach out to help our local community. The first one I'd like to talk about is mobile meals,  food is prepared and  delivered to anyone throughout our community.

( mostly home bound seniors) The 2nd one is Karm they have 18 donation stores where the proceedes go to house and feed the homeless throughout the community over 700 meals are prepared daily, not only do we volunteer to work in the stores processing goods our family serves twice a year serving Thanksgiving and Christmas day meals in the shelter. There are many non profit organizations throughout the TN area these are just 2 that we as a family support. Thank you for letting us share our experience.

Lynn & Perry

Magnolia House Knoxville TN USA

@Lizzie

Thanks for introducing this topic - another dimension to all of us, and another opportunity to know each other better. 

We volunteer our time and support for local service organizations, including Soroptimist International of Willits. We have served as volunteer music programmer/hosts for Public Radio, and produced many years of house concerts for our very dear musician & dancer friends. Our home and gardens have been on charitable fundraising tours. We have a rich and satisfying background in Resort Management, have served as Volunteer Firefighters in wilderness areas, and in the busy Emergency Room of an urban hospital. We are both hosts and travelers for the international SERVAS organization, which has a wonderful philosophy of Global Village and culture exchange. We have some basic Spanish and Mandarin language skills, and have served as delegates to our Sister City Qufu, in Shandong, China; and the Hupa Tribal Nation in Hoopa Valley, CA. I volunteer as a spiritual crisis counselor/coach/mentor and am a certified teacher for a spiritual Hospice organization. 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Kitty-and-Creek0, Wow, reading your post was truly enjoyable. It's amazing how much support you offer to local service organizations, among others 😊

Your post inspired me, and I wanted to share that I also try to volunteer in my free time. Last spring and summer, I supported middle school students transitioning to high school by guiding them through potential challenges and providing tools for what lies ahead.

Additionally, I volunteer to build bike trails around British Columbia, which I must admit I really enjoy. Due to weather conditions, I do this primarily in the summer.

It's wonderful to hear about your experiences, @Kitty-and-Creek0. They have inspired me to explore other ways to help different communities. Since I also speak Spanish, I might find opportunities to support Spanish communities of newcomers in Canada.

The possibilities are indeed endless. Thanks for sharing 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

I really love charities and volunteering. I would like to have a charity for young people who cannot afford education and volunteer on teaching them. 

Sophia
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @David11096, what a wonderful idea! 
I've heard of many charitable organisations where you can visit different countries and teach underprivileged kids. I know a few old friends who have done this and talk about how it's a life changing experience. It really puts things in perspective! 💭

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

That's wonderful to hear you have a friend like that. I bet your friend is a amazing person! And I agree, It really put thing in perspective. Thank you for posting this. It's really heartwarming knowing there's a lot of people out there willing to help.

Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

I love volunteerism. So rewarding for both the giver and the receiver. I volunteer for a local group in my town called Helping Hands. The elderly still living in heir own homes are assisted with shopping, yard work, driven to their doctor, walking their dog or anything else no matter how small or large.

I also volunteer at a memorial park where a 17th century husband and wife and their children are buried. They donated the land that my town and our University is now built on and it is very comforting and rewarding to be there every week year round.  Always come home feeling good after volunteering!