While AirBnB requires ID verification - what about when an unknown guest is part of the stay?

Carl117
Level 2
Encinitas, CA

While AirBnB requires ID verification - what about when an unknown guest is part of the stay?

We tend to get a lot of requests from new AirBnB members. While the requestor has been verified - what about the unknown guests? How do we know that the guest isn't of concern. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am more concerned when people are not couples or partners or relatives.

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Verified probably does not mean what you think it does. Do you take ID of all guests?

David
Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Hello  @Carl117,

Two simple solutions:

1.- Ask the potential guest to register all the guests coming to stay. When making a reservation, they have the option to identify all the guests coming to stay for that specific reservation.

2.- As a house rule, ask all your guests to show a valid national IDs upon arrival.

I personally apply the second option, never had a problem. When they ask why I need their ID, I tell them that by law it is utterly necessary to identify the guests to the police and that it is also required by my home insurance.

Thank you very much Elizabeth! That makes solid sense. We greatly appreciate it and really like the insurance mention.  Have a great day!

Yvonne218
Level 2
Portland, OR

I've been very concerned about this lately, as I've had a few guests that brought the second guest and for some reason I felt very uneasy .  I won't go into detail but I am wondering... why does airbnb not require the second person to prove identity.? It seems like an obvious step in booking.