Why do guests come to stay in your listing?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Why do guests come to stay in your listing?

Guests come to stay in your listing.jpg

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a super week.

I’m sure many of you often ask yourself why a guest might choose to stay in your home and there could be many great reasons for this. The location of your house, the great nearby areas, the price, the design, your skills as a host, the good reviews, interesting events nearby your place...the list could be endless.

What do you think attracts guests to your listing and do you like to highlight this in your listing description?

I'm looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

38 Replies 38
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

Is it just me, or does the guest in the photo look like he is looking at some huge spider on the wall...?

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Thank you @Rebecca181 for making me laugh out loud first thing in the morning!  His  hand is still on the door handle, a chance to get out before ..... 

That’s exactly what I thought too, @Rebecca181. He’s planning to run away.

Look where I’ve ended up! I knew I did not have to book. My wife had warned me: "Jimmy, do not book “Crazy House in New Jersey". The oven on the ceiling ... the fridge in the entrance .. well, the TV will be in the storeroom! That’s my cue to go. Ow, ow, a spasm of renal colic. I'm so sorry, Mrs. Wilkins, but I have to rush to the emergency room right away!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

hehe @Rebecca181! I didn't even think that until you mentioned it here, but I think you could on to something here!  

Looking again, I was also wondering if instead of entering, perhaps he is actually leaving...ooo how the mind works. 🙂  

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca181

Nah, I think he is just doing a quick skirt around for hidden cameras!

Or maybe he is an Airbnb mole and has this need to check out the listing on entry for old webs!

Could it be that as he opened the door a book fell over in the bookcase distracting him momentarily!

Or possibly he just photographs best from lower right side of face!

Rebecca.....really!!

Cheers.......Rob

Considering I host a lot of exchange students for entire semesters and based on the answers I've gotted when I ask my guests 'why' they chose our listing I think the initial reasons come down to location, price and value.

For our exchange student guests, we compete with dorms, shared homes, goshiwons (micro-rooms), homestays and other Airbnbs.

We only have one guest room w/ private guest bath for a solo guest so the guests that decide to stay with us seem to be the type that value personal time and space but they don't want to be cramped in a tiny studio alone. Plus, we don't have a curfew (dorms usually do). We provide bedding and towels AND handle all the laundry for them as well so guests only need to wash their own clothes. We also provide all amenities (TP, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, toothpaste, laundry detergent)  as well as cooking oil, salt&pepper. We are in a central but residental location - close to schools, shopping, bars, resturants and a major transportation hub with several subway lines BUT also a safe residential area with a small park, several walking trails and an elementary school nearby.

Our first guest said that staying with us was like living with a much older sibling or maybe a young (cool & laid back) aunt and uncle. I think this really sums up our hosting style very well 🙂 I think a lot of the guest reviews explain clearly what guests can expect when staying in our home.

So in the end, the mix of 'what we offer (location, price, value)' and our 'hosting style' seems to be why our guests choose to stay with us.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Based on what I've seen so far this year (I've only been a host since last December), many of the guests choose this listing because it is convenient to family and friends who live in the area (south side of Minneapolis).

Secondarily, I am just a few blocks from a transit hub which is convenient for light rail, buses (both city and suburban), bike rentals, and an electric car rental (HourCar).  Also, the airport is only a 10 minute drive.  The light rail takes visitors to the various venues (sports stadiums, universities, airport, Mall of America, etc.) so they can avoid parking issues (cost, traffic, availability).

Finally, the rental is minutes away from a popular landmark (Minnehaha Park and its waterfall).  Guests can drive, bike, or walk there.  It has a popular restaurant, free concerts & movies in the summer, and leads to a trail which winds through the city for bikers & hikers.  There are also two lakes nearby to enjoy.

All of this is available for less than the cost of a hotel with more space and privacy.

It’s early in the game for me but outside of the expected weddings and various reunions, we have a large university in Syracuse and a smaller college and I  live in a very convenient and desirable ‘burb on the outskirts. So I’ve been booked for parents bringing their kids in, parents weekends, I have an Umpire coming to stay who will be working some games at SU, one coming to do something at the film school, etc.

I didn’t know but discovered we have a very good, nationally known fertility clinic here so I’m seeing bookings and inquiries from couples coming in for that. It seems they like to bring their pets and so far so good with pet owners in general. Allowing pets has been a big plus in my bookings and not a negative thus far in having them. 

If people already know the area they often prefer my ‘burb. If they don’t, they learn this is a great spot bc of convenience and the charm of the village and all it offers. Dog people like it bc I am very close to a gorgeous state park (Green Lakes) and a couple blocks from a feeder trail onto the Erie Canal. 

I bought this house 18 years ago bc it enabled me to move my business into it. I’d never been a landlord before and I’ve not enjoyed it. I’ve had only a few tenants bc they tend to stay a long time but inevitably I kick them out bc I renovate or tire of them ;D This short term gig suits me very well and I hope I can continue to enjoy it  

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

On a more serious note: Many guests told me they found my Cottage when they used the filter for 'Hot Tub'. And then they saw the photos and they were smitten. The hot tub is a pain at times (I maintain it meticulously) but it has been worth it. Only one guest has said that they found me with the Super Host filter. Most guests say, "Super Host? What's that?"