Why dont guest ratings get published?

Mick12
Level 1
Park City, UT

Why dont guest ratings get published?

Host star ratings are listed and highly scrutinized. Why aren't guest star ratings published?

I just had a nightmare guest, and as I dig into her ratings, the text on reviews where terrible and if I would have dug further into her previous reviews, or would have seen her stars, I NEVER would have rented to her.

Now I am out $500 in damages and HUGE headache!!!!

12 Replies 12
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Mick12

Man, I feel you.

I'm going to be waiting with bated breath, and bad breath at that , very, very bad breath, to read a good answer or any answer at all.

It makes no sense.  Another example of the tilt by AirBnB to favor guests at the expense of hosts.

We can't win with an uneven playing field.

It would be nice to get an OFFICIAL explanation otherwise we should sumise that our assumptions are correct and AirBnB policies favor guests over hosts for monetary/marketing reasosns.

You read these types of things over and over here.

I'd like to here suggestions and other experiences on this topic.

Thumbs up if you like a post.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Mick12 I'm not really sure what you mean by not being able to read a guest's reviews: if you click on their profile, you can read any reviews that have been left by other hosts. If you have instant book enabled and they have booked with you, you can see their star ratings. I looked at your profile and you seem to have this enabled, so you should have access to it. If they have booked with you and you review their ratings and you're unhappy with them, you can cancel free of any penalty: just contact Airbnb and tell them you're not comfortable with the guest: see https://www.airbnb.ca/host/instant-book for details. It's should all be accessible to you.

Or do you mean you were unable to see the ratings that they left for other hosts?

I can read their review, but I have to go and read every review and I dont having time to read every single review for every guest. If they had a lower star rating, then that would prompt me to go read further.

If the guest does not instant book, then I dont see the stars.

@Mick12 I can see guest ratings regardless, even if they didn't instant book. As long as you have instant book enabled on your account, you should be able to see it, regardless of what method they used to book it.

Why do I have to have instant book on to see guest ratings?

I cannot see a guest's star ratings before I book them. Not even sure if I can see them after I accept them.

We have been a Superhost for 15 quarters. Do we not make enough money for AirBNB?

We invite people into our propery an dgive them a key and WIFI password and all that but we cannot see how they are rated beforehand. This is not right.

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Sorry for your loss, @Mick12! I think @Alexandra316 is right at least for a thing: I have IB and I can see all the reviews my guests have. I didn't try the thing "unhappy with them" and I'm not sure if it's possible to cancel a reservation free of penalty. 

@Alex939 It absolutely is possible to cancel a reservation penalty free if you're not comfortable with the guest. See the basic terms of Instant Book here: https://www.airbnb.ca/host/instant-book.

However, you should never cancel a reservation on your own: you need to contact Airbnb and have them do it, or the penalty will be levied.

I know I can cancel, but I have 20-50 guests per month, and this is NOT my fulltime job, so I cannot go and read that many profiles.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mick12 - If I were taking 20-50 guests per month, I'd find the time to check out their ratings. And, as an FYI, I'm not sure why you've gone in to a defensive tirade with some of your reviews that say very little. 

I only have 2 response tirades because I went way way way above and beyond for these guests, and they left really poor reviews, and it was blatantly their issue, and while dealing with an emergency in a foreign country, then their bad review, and this lady that destroyed my home... well, I cracked!

Alex939
Level 10
Plovdiv, Bulgaria

Thank you, @Alexandra316! I know the terms, until now I just didn't have to cancel a reservation on this basis.

@Alex939 Sorry, I guess I misunderstood because you said you didn't know if it was possible to cancel penalty free.