4 stars  = Very Good

5 stars  = Excellent

BUT in Airbnb's system

1 star  = Disgusting

2 stars  = Crap

3 stars = Poor

4 stars  = Could do better

5 stars  =  Passable

So in normal times a guest leaving 3/4 Stars is thinking Good/ Very Good but in Airbnb's system we get Poor/Could do better

Would they please make this clear to their clients

Thanks

23 Replies 23
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Robert852

You have a point!

It is necessary to tell the guest that Airbnb considers that, less than 5 stars is not good or at least acceptable! 🙂

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robert852well that's how it worked until recently, now is even worse, guests have to tick one of the following:

* much worst then expected

** a bit worst then expected

*** about the same as expected

**** a bit better then expected

***** much better then I expected

no comment...

Fiona125
Level 2
Great Brickhill, United Kingdom

This means that if the photos  and previous reviews etc. are all accurate the 3* answer of 'about the same as expected' will be an appropriate response. To achieve 5* 'much better than expected' the host has to show poor photographs and a played down description??

This is so true.....

I've had guests write personal messages to me, thanking me for my hospitality and saying what I lovely place it is, and then giving me a 4* rating.

In their mind, this is very good, and better than they expected, but unfortunately, this does pull down my overall rating to below what is required for Superhost rating.

Yes I agree 100% that has happened to me several times, guests tell me the place is perfect, and best place ever and then give a rating of 4*, some are very reluctent to give 5* no matter what.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robert852actually it is much worse since recently, guests have following options to tick:

* much worst then expected

** a bit worst then expected

*** about the same as expected

**** a bit better then expected

***** much better then I expected

And we got a threatening email from the robots telling us that we could be put on ice for getting three stars from a difficult guest, because our listing was 'as expected'.  We are loving the system at the moment.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Perhaps air bnb should concentrate on getting guests to leave a review.

They should not publish a review written by a host about a guest until the guest writes a review about the host.

Ive now started not writing a guest review until I get a notification from Airbnb that the guest has written a review.

@Victoria567  Actually, I don't agree. The guest reviews that hosts write are there to help other hosts make a decision to host a guest or not. So if you don't review, you are not punishing the guest (most don't care if you write them a review, and airbnb doesn't grade them on the percentage of hosts who review them, like they do to hosts) you are doing a disservice to other hosts.

@Robert852  This screwed up review system has been has been talked about endlessly here in the host forum. Airbnb seems not to care, in fact, it seems they are trying to trick guests into downgrading hosts. I can think of know other explanation for something that makes no sense at all. So the only solution at this point is for hosts to have to explain to their guests how the ratings affect hosts. It's not a comfortable thing to have to do, and we shouldn't have to do this, but we are left with no choice. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Sarah0

Hi, I do instant booking, to weed out the time wasters, and that’s why my house rules are so stringent along with my booking guest ID requirements such as must have government ID etc.

If I were to go under the system of request orior to booking, I would be very wary of hosting a guest with very few reviews.

I suppose it depends on the experiences us as hosts have had and choosing our hosting style and guests as a result.

I feel if I ask guests for a review that they may think I’m being pushy or it may give some the opportunity to think .....what’s in this for me?

I think that guests who don’t leave a review are not entering into the spirit of the sharing Economy in that they get a review that shows the hosts what type of guest they are whilst the host gains nothing in terms of feedback.

I do that myself too. In fact, what I do now is that I only do the reviews at the very end of the review period.  I usually write reviews for guests and very rarely don't do it. However, I noticed on my status that ABB requires, I think, 77% for hosts to review guests to keep the Superhost status.  I was at 65% can't explain that one, but just one of those algorythms they have.  Yes, ABB should concentrate on getting guests to leave reviews.  

@Mara12   A host is not required to leave a review. For Superhost status to remain you must have at least 50% of your guests that stayed leave a review. You're at 65% of guests have left one, so you're still safe. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Mara0

Hello there

I did not know you could lose Superhost status by not leaving a review.

I will have to review my recent decision on not leaving guests a review until they write a review themselves.

Perhaps Air bnb could  still get hosts to write a review about a guest but not publish the review until the guest has written a review.

Regarding super host status, perhaps air bnb should have a super guest status😉

@Victoria567 Did you not read Letti's comment above? The review % that you are rated on for Superhost status is the % of GUESTS who leave a review for you, not the % of reviews the host leaves.