bad reviews for not extending check out time

Homes-Sg0
Level 1
Singapore

bad reviews for not extending check out time

I have been a host for about four years and the biggest source of bad reviews for me as been one, not extending check out time and two, for making claims. I would like to address thew former. Guests agree to our check in and check out times when they accept the booking yet they feel it is fair to retaliate with a bad rev iews if we don't listen to their 'demands'. We run at near hundred percent occupancy and it is physically impossible for us to extend check outs without affecting the trip of another guest. Yet it is quite unfair to us as our overall rating is affected. Does AirBnB remove reviews like these?  

10 Replies 10
Mike818
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

I totally agree with you. I even try to messaging the following guest to see if they are checking on late to try to accommodate a later check out. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't. I also offer free Parking and some guest think that this spot is available at anytime they want. The parking area is available yes but I need to explain to them the way and some guest think I'm going to wait for them until 3am to check in and do that. Last night 

I had enough and gave my guest an untimatun. If they don't arrive by 1:45am parking is their responsibility. My check in time is between 3pm and midnight. Now I'm expecting negative feedback because these guest DON'T READ and Comply with the listing and rules. I'm new to this and already getting feedup and it's not worth the trouble on continuing to Host. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Why not have check in after 16:00 hours and not before, until 21:00 hours.

If you have a late flight later check in time must be agreed with the host before booking the accommodation.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

After the guest books, message them immediately with your restrictions and refer them to the house rules.  For example " Please note that if you arrive after 1 am you will not be able to park in the designated area.  You will have to find parking in the neighborhood and this may be very difficult for you.  Also note that your parking spot is in the designated AREA but not in a specific SPOT.  You will need to be flexible.  I CANNOT CONTROL who parks there or what spot will be open when you arrive."  Then send this message again the day before and the day OF their arrival.

If you can secure a special parking spot at extra cost or they can arrive and park at 4 am for an extra fee, great.  Tell them that.  If not possible, tell them that.  LOWER their expectations and you will get better reviews when you exceed their low expectations.

In the case of late check out requests, message the guest ahead of time "Please DO NOT request late check out!!  We will offer it if it is available.  If we don't offer late check out then it is NOT available and as good Airbnb guests we hope you will honor our posted check out time of 11 am.  If you are sure you will need late check out you are welcome to reserve another night in the listing and then you can check out as late as you wish (up to 11 am the following morning in fact.)  Just as we asked the guest before you to check out in a timely manner so that we could prepare the space for you, we ask that you extend the same courtesy to the guest that follows you.  Thank you for your understanding.  The hosts."

When you manage DOWN the guests' expectations and then surpass them you will get better reviews.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Homes-Sg0

There will always be guests who will push your check in/out time to the limit. So it is a good idea to set it earlier then it is conveniant to you.

For example we usually start cleaning at noon so we set our check out time to 11 AM

We also set our check in time to 7 PM so we can agree to later check in until 9 PM which is also fine for us.

That way if they ask we can be generous and agree to 1 hour later check out and 2 hours later check in and they are gratefull 🙂

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

I think if this is happening regularly to you then you need to have a think about how you're delivering the information. If you sound grumpy at being asked (and there's always some who are gonna ask), then it is going to come accross and if any guest ever gets a whiff of being an inconvenience then of course a bad review will follow. 

I run a hotel (not on airbnb) and we charge for late check out. It takes the emotion out of it, and I don't get stressed about housekeeping staff being paid while they are waiting around for someone to leave, the late fee covers that if that is what happens. Mostly people just manage to get out on time when they realise there is a fee, which is the goal. I realise this isn't an option for all accommodation types though. In my small apartment on airbnb, I allow it when I can, and if I can't because of tight turnaround, I just explain that. If people ask me on their check out date right before check out time (which is about the only time I get irritated) I say in a super friendly manner, Oh if only we had arranged this a few days ago, but it's too late now for me to call the cleaner, she will be there at ten past, and she has another place booked immediately after so I am sorry but we will have to stick to the time we agreed on earlier. I've never copped a bad review about it. 

Michael1975
Level 2
Collinswood, Australia

Hi Kelly I am relatively new to AIRBNB hosting I have been at it now since late June this year.

I was just been reading a few posts on checkin and checkout as I tend to get asked by guests a lot to either come in before 3.00pm or leave after 10.00am.

I accomadate them where I can but as the bookings are increasing I am finding it more difficult and thankfully I have not had anyone complain....yet.

I am thinking of reinforcing this through extra messages sent to guests before arrival on these and other guest rules.

I have a question on another matter if you dont mind.

Fitting top sheets to bedding is it in or out.....I have been told by many now that it is the thing to do.

Growing up with top sheets it would feel weird to me not to have one....your thoughts or anyone elses?

No top sheets if you have a duvet with a cotton cover.

Top sheets yes ....if you have blankets.

I offer breakfast and it’s between the hours of 8am to 8:30am and I ask on arrival when they will have breakfast.

A breakfast at 8:30am gives the guests ample time to eat, then pack and leave before 10am so I can get on with cleaning their room.

No early check in prior to 16:00 hours.

Guests welcome to leave their car on my private driveway whilst they explore the town prior to check in after 16:00 hours.

Kelly144
Level 4
Hobart, Australia

Ah the top sheet discussion! I didn't realise it was such a varied thing from place to place. I have a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a doona cover (duvet cover) in my airbnb. I figure that satisfies both sides - the people who don't use a top sheet can just not untuck it and sleep on top of two sheets if they prefer. At the hotel I run we use three sheets and no doona cover, a bottom sheet and the other two kind of enveloped around the doona. I'm sure there are whole threads on this somewhere, ha! 

Back to the early check ins; lots of people just announce to me that they'll be arriving earlier than my check in time of 2pm. If I have a turnaround that day, I just reply sweetly and say that I will message them with the door code and instructions as soon as it is clean and ready for them, around 2pm.  I don't apologise or negotiate or give an explanation about my previous guest's departure time, my cleaner's schedule or my schedule. I then make sure to get that message to them by 1pm so that they are happy they got in an hour earlier than expected. So I have adjusted their expectation, and then exceeded that (new) expectation. I am very friendly but I don't leave any gaps for anyone to try and get an edge in. I feel like when you hesitate, that's when things can go badly.

Best of luck with your hosting! 

If there has been no communication or short notice regarding a request to arrive early or stay later I make a polite comment about timely communication  in the guests review.

E.g It’s a pity that early checkin was not possible prior to 2pm.  It’s a good idea to call ahead if you wish to arrive early as often we can work something out. 

Eg. It’s a pity that late checkout was not possible on this occasion. Often we can work something out if we have eneough notice. 

This way , others reading the reviews have some idea why that particular guest gave the rating that did.  I instituted this when a guest arrived 90 minutes early and was unhappy when asked to to return in 45 minutes. They gave me a poor rating for checkin, even though they left their dog and young teenage son at the property for the 45 minutes without asking if this was ok. 

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

Everybody gets requests for early check in or late check out.  I always say yes if I can.  If I have somebody else coming and I need to clean, I apologize and explain the situation and then say I "might" be able to squeeze an extra 30 min but please no longer.  They often are very appreciative.  At least I haven't had a bad review because of it yet.