cancellations

Glenda67
Level 1
Mitcham, United Kingdom

cancellations

Hi I had a guest here who had already booked for a month but then after a few hours said she had decided to only stay a few days after all and wanted me to refund her the rest. Does anyone know Airbnb s policy for this

7 Replies 7
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Glenda67,

You say that she decided after a few hours that she wanted to stay for only a few days.

Is that a few hours after making the reservation or a few hours after checking in?

Airbnb gives a full refund if guests cancel within 48 hours of making the reservation provided that the checkin date is more than 14 days in the future.

Airbnb automatically applies the long term cancellation policy to all reservations of 28 nights or more irrespective of your moderate cancellation policy.

The terms of the long term policy say that you're to be paid for that month if she cancels after checking in.

It's up to you whether you wish to agree to refund her for days that you manage to get reservations for, provided that she cancels so the dates will be made available on your calendar.

The long term policy terms say:

If the guest books a reservation and decides to cancel the reservation during their stay, the guest must use the online alteration tool in order to agree to a new checkout date. Regardless of the checkout date chosen, the guest is required to pay the host for the 30 days following the cancellation date, or up to the end date of the guest’s original reservation if the remaining portion of the original reservation is less than 30 days.

The full long term policy can be seen at the link below.

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term

Steve.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Glenda67

perhaps best to phone air bnb London Number asap and explain your predicament  and get advice on how you proceed to get your cancellation policy enforced.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Glenda67  You simply reply to guest telling them you do not deal with the booking funds that is all on AirBnB's end. The long term policy will not refund the first months rent, this policy supersedes your's. It's up to you to decide to refund anything or not in this case. 

Crystal144
Level 10
Central Coast, Australia

Best to just treat guests as you would want to be treated, refund part or all of the remaining nights not spent

edit: just saw that this has seperate rules as a long term booking. I apologise for my confusion and ignorance 

@Crystal144  Don't apologise were all here to help each other. You may have info we are not aware of as AirBnB changes things and policy almost daily lol. One of us may have more knowledge based on personal experience with an issue that can open eyes. Another may question something stated as being not what they dealt with and that brings the topic under greater review by other hosts. All input and thoughts are greatly appreciated on this forum. I personally will refund any funds I can rebook, but not all hosts will and it's their choice. If I cannot rebook they get nothing, I'm such a mean person ;D I do not do long term booking personally, I do not want to have to evict someone in Texas as it takes forever especially if they have children. 

Crystal144
Level 10
Central Coast, Australia

Thanks Letti for your kind and welcoming words. I’m brand new on here

Glenda67
Level 1
Mitcham, United Kingdom

Hi thanks all for responding X Glenda