check-out time

Giovanna125
Level 2
Venice, Italy

check-out time

Hi hosts! I rent a property in Italy and my check-out time is 11 A.M. I'm wondering if there is a polite way to ask my guests at what time they expect to check-out, in order to start with the cleaning as soon as they leave and do not wait for the official check-out time. Almost nobody volunteers this information... Does this seems rude to you? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!  

9 Replies 9
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Giovanna125

We just ask our guests what time they are planning to leave - remember they are entitled to stay up until your check out time, so can change their plans the next morning if they sleep in etc. So it's not rude - it's part of the contract. You don't tell a hotel what time you are checking out - you know you have paid for the room until check out time.

However... you could explain that you have another guest checking in and would like to get cleaning as soon as they have left - ask if they would mind sending you a text message when they are leaving.

Good luck!

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Giovanna125 I also have 11:00 a.m. as the checkout, and many of my guests do not leave until 11:00. If I am worried about timing, I will knock on their door around 10:50 a.m. And see if they need anything to help them pack. Usually they are just finishing up, and let me know they'll be out soon. This also gives me a chance to say a nice goodbye to them. I have my cleaner scheduled to come in at 11:00, and I only have two hours to turn the room. I do not ask guests what time they plan to leave- they have the right of the place until 11:00, and that time has been respected by all so far. I do have it listed also on the info sheet I provide, so no one forgets.  

@Giovanna125

If you handle check-ins/outs personally, that could be a reason to ask about specific check-out times. 

It's what I do 🙂

Beth44
Level 10
Flagstaff, AZ

Giovanna: This is the message I send to my guests on their last night in my apartment. (I tell them that I hope they are having a great final day and/or night so there is no confusion about vacating the next day.) "If you are leaving before the 12 pm check out tomorrow, could you please let me know? I appreciate knowing how much lead time I have to clean up for the next guests."

Most guests kindly respond, which gives me a timing plan for cleaning. I do not think it is rude to ask.

Peggy-And-Mike0
Level 10
Georgia, United States

Hi, if I have any concern that a guest might overstay, I send them a message either the night before or about 10 a.m. to say that we hope they've had a lovely stay and that if they would put any used towels in the hamper before checkout at 11 a.m. it would be appreciated.  Sometimes I add, there's no need to strip the bed because we take care of the rest.  Generally this would happen because they've kept to themselves, or didn't talk much to my husband who is always on hand to greet them.  We also stay on the property.  

That sends a message that this is not a hotel so don't leave it on the floor and generally lets them know that other guests have done more.....we have pretty much all first-time airbnb guests and while we are still novices, it seems to work.  I find that new airbnb guests appreciate clarity around what is expected/not expected....most people seem to want to do the right thing.  

I guess these communications should happen before check in, The guest deserve quiet enjoyment during the stay and not botheration from host. It is unfair for people who are disciplined enough to hornor the checkout time. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Giovanna125

I would change the time of your check out time from 11am to 10am

I would state in your house rules clearly that check out time is 10:00 hours.

I would state in your house rules clearly that check in time is XX:00 hours.

I would state in your house rules clearly that check in is not before XX:00 hours.

Have a set period of time for breakfast and state this .....breakfast is served between 08:00 and 08:30 hours in the morning.

No need to bother the guest as they usually have breakfast finished by 09:00 hours and ready to leave before check out.

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

I usually plan my cleaning under the assumption they will stay up until the last minute until the 11 am check out.  But sometimes I have a full day and it would help if I could start cleaning earlier IF they plan to leave earlier.  So I ask them in a generic way, kind of like its a form letter.  "Good morning, I hope you enjoyed your stay.  Just a quick reminder that check out time is 11am.  If you plan to leave earlier, please let us know so we can better prepare for the next guest"

Kathryn304
Level 2
Brevard, NC

I also don't plan to clean until 11 a.m.  Sometimes they are very quiet at 10 a.m. and I don't know precisely what time they are leaving.  I just stop being quiet at that time and maybe play some music, etc.  I share a 1200 sq. ft. house with folks, so I'm sure they can hear it.  Haven't yet had to text anyone or knock on their door - hope I don't have to!  But it would be nice to know ahead of time.  I do let them know my check-in, check out time in their booking welcome letter and ask about their arrival time since I am always here to welcome them.