checking a traveller's profile

Sharon211
Level 1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

checking a traveller's profile

Hi there,

I have had someone ask to book my place for a weekend in May. They don't have any reviews as they say their friend usually books for them. They told me their friend's name and said I could check out their reviews instead - can I search for that person to see their reviews? Do you think I can reasonably take that as an indication of the trustworthiness of the person who wants to book?

Thanks so much in advance,

Sharon

7 Replies 7
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sharon211

The fact that they have given a referee means they probably can be trusted Sharon.

We all had to start from somewhere! A host gave you a chance the first time you booked as a guest on Airbnb Sharon, and in almost all instances new guests turn out to wondeful to host, because they do not have a pre-conceived expectation of what they will get from Airbnb, or you. Now in this situation this potential guests has used Airbnb before but this would be their first time using their own details so it's a fair bet, they will be on their best behaviour....otherwise they would want to continue to remain anonimous

Some of my nicest guests were 'cleanskins' so I would not go into this hosting looking for problems. The fact that this person has been up-front with you means they may just turn out to be a really good guest.

Your call, but if it was me, I would trust them.

Cheers.....Rob

Sharon211
Level 1

Thanks Robin, I'll do a wee bit more digging first but I'll take your comments on board, thanks so much!

Sharon

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sharon211

I always make sure my guests have verified ID. That they provide me with a clear photo.

And that they tell me about themselves, plans for their stay and why they chose my place.

I agree most of my bookings are from first timers so I put the above in place to help me make a decision.

@Robin4 is obviously more trusting than me 🙂  Anyone can say a friend usually books for them. If their friend isn't coming, then the friend's reviews are pretty meaningless to be honest. 

If the friend is coming, why haven't they booked as normal 🙂

Sharon211
Level 1

Thanks Helen - that is very helpful. I can't find their friend's reviews anyway! I've asked who is coming to the flat and why. It's a rugby final weekend and I suspect it's three young men, so I am just trying to suss how they will be using my flat!

Thanks again,

Sharon

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Sharon211 Lovely Place.

A couple of other points I think you need to tighten up your house rules for examples.

1. Noise restrictions late at night/early hours

2. No parties or gatherings

3. Only those who have booked and paid to stay /visit

Also you have your check in anytime after noon which means they can check in at 3 .00 a.m. in the morning and you would need to be there to let them in !

Also have photos of all the facilities in the flat ie sofa bed, box room and garden.

If you don't have them look at short term lets insurance, CCTV and having a deposit for your listing.

Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Sharon211

From the extra info you have gathered (3 chaps there for the Rugby) and @Helen3's excellent observations about the 'looseness' of your listing and house rules.... I personally would take a hit on this one and let it go. If you have your place set up as a crash pad for partygoers - then go ahead. (And we all know that Rugby is a gentleman s sport compared to footie!). But boys will be boys and 3times to mess may not be worth it - and possible complaints from your neighbours.

@Sharon211 sorry about that - I got cut short.... I wanted to also say that most Hosts would tell you to go with your gut instinct. It really comes down to how much you want the booking/money v. the risks. Of course @Robin4 has a very valid point also - the fact that this guest is using his own profile for the booking - means either he is taking this seriously, or the other friend is coming with them and doesn't want the hassle review left on his! Maybe.

If you are not sure - then don't do it. It is better to cancel an inquiry before it becomes a booking - as you must NEVER cancel a confirmed booking as the penalties are too great. But if it is already committed then I think that the best protection is to make sure you meet with the guests on check-in, charm them, let them know it's just your only place and you are the one who will be cleaning up - guilt them into being good boys! Tell them your mother lives next door - or something like that. Guest are always more considerate when they know it's personal and not a corporate faceless business rental.

Text them the next day to check that they are doing alright and have everything they need - and let them know that you are staying nearby (even if you are not!). It all helps with the connection.

Best Wishes - and do let us know what happens and how you get on!

Rachael x