cover photo

Sharon27
Level 1
Arles, France

cover photo

Hi everyone. 

My cover photo is ending up as a shot of the sky and a bit of roof. I was looking for a way to adjust it like on Facebook but I don't think this exists unless anyone can tell me how to do it. If not has anyone got any experience of cropping or tweaking to get a good cover image.

I have good quality photos, mostly taken by professionals so I don't want to get more I just want to know how to format what I have. At the moment it's ruining my listing.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sharon

38 Replies 38
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Sharon27 I don't think you can crop/edit photos on the Airbnb website.  What I would do is crop the original photo off site and then reload it onto your listing.  

Hi Clare,

What size do you crop your cover photo to? I'd like to know so I can get the position exactly where I want it.

thanks,

danielle

@Danielle33 Wish I could tell you!  An Airbnb photographer took my pictures and loaded them onto my listing.  Have you requested the free photography service Airbnb offers?  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/297/where-can-i-learn-more-about-airbnb-s-professional-photograp...

@Clare0 oh thanks Clare! No I haven't enquired about the photography - I already have great photos, just thought it would be good to know specific specs so that they are the right size.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

You can use any image editor to crop your image. I use Gimp. It's free and quite popular. It also handles a common problem on Airbnb where photos taken with a phone are rotated 90 degrees. It recognizes the problem when you open the photo in Gimp and offers to fix the issue. A great little free program that works on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Robert137
Level 1
Issaquah, WA

Hi Sharon- I'm having the same problem.  We have a beautiful, large photo we want on our listing, but Airbnb keeps showing it in a way that loses all the value of the photo... it only shows the back of chairs and part of a roof, much like you.  Did you solve your problem?  If so, how?  

It would be nice if Airbnb had the ability to adjust the listing photo like Facebook or other major websites.

Thanks!

Airbnb, we're still waiting....

Screen Shot 2016-07-27 at 5.11.04 PM.jpg

This is the size and aspect ratio of my pic... You could use it as a template to make your own pic.

Right click on the pic and you will be able to open the pic in full size... In another window.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

John-Marina0
Level 1
New South Wales, Australia

Mate your roofs are cut-off too on my widescreen laptop. (screen res is 1366x768)

AirBNB cover photos don't respond well to widescreen laptops or large desktop wide screens either.

The responsive CSS code and image processing engine seems to be doing something weird.

Too bad if you want an aerial photo for example.

Thank you, this is VERY helpful!

Wow, @Mike77... That's SOME listing! I love the style. I would've never thought of renting a treehouse before I saw your photos...but it's really nice the way you have it set up.

HI Mike, beautiful property, but the ratio does not work for my cover image.
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

The visible part of the cover photo view on the listing is approx. a third - that in the center of the picture.

I'm quite savvy with photoshop, so it wasn't a problem placing it on a neutral background in such a way that the middle part wasn't too bad. But it took multiple uploadings to check how it looked. If you aren't experienced in photo adaption, then it'll be a bit more difficult, unless you know somebody who is...

I also haven't been able to figure out the best picture size and dpi for the site, but have been getting the impression again and again that the site automatically adjusts (too) large pictures to fit, since even large 20MB photos are scrolled on the site as easily and quickly as 2MB ones.

Tricia28
Level 1
Meningie, Australia

We have added 6 photos as we develop a listing. We have tried for hours and have managed to get different photos as the cover than the one that came up first, but never the one we want. Is there a procedure for selecting your cover photo please?