do i need to make a copy of a passport from a foreign guest?

Sue16
Level 1
Eastwood, United Kingdom

do i need to make a copy of a passport from a foreign guest?

I have a guest from USA arriving next week do i need to take details of her passport?

6 Replies 6
Trine0
Level 4
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Sue16 I would not.  After hosting more then 35 times, and only, one was  from my one country.  I have never had eny juse for a pasport.

But it's your listing so do what you feel comfortable with!

Chees and happy hosting to you.

Sue16
Level 1
Eastwood, United Kingdom

Thank you, it's just that i seem to remember hearing last year that our govenment was proposing to require landlords to check that guest were in this country legally.

Regards,

Sue

Hi @Sue, it depend what offical requirements you have to apply in UK. Here in France, since we are in emergency state we should ask personal information such as name, birth date, adress, etc (but we are not allowed to make a copy of a passport) for each non french guest (even for european people), these informations could be asked by police for 6 month. What you can do is to accept only guests with verified Airbnb ID.
Sue16
Level 1
Eastwood, United Kingdom

Thank you,

we do only take verified guests so hopfully that is all we need to do.

Regards,

Sue

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi Sue,

Guests  might feel uncomfortable with you making an actual copy, since a copy is generally already enough for misuse by somebody with less good intentions.

I always just write down their ID# (Dutch law requires checking alone). So that way I at least have something in case things go wrong.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There is no requirement in the UK to take a copy of someone's passport when they stay with you. Hotels here don't even take copies of passports.