guests reviews

Sophia22
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

guests reviews

Several months a guest stayed at my guest home. I served them breakfast one morning...  They said "thank you, but we are gluten free." So fine. The next day I went to get gluten-free bagels and served breakfast again, this time gluten-free. They said "thank you, but we don't like garlic bagels, we prefer plain." ugh... pain in *ss.  

They are not terrible guests, but needy. I left them a neutral-positive review. They just requested another stay with me. I don't want to host them, more work than I want to deal with. Is there any way to block them from my listing?

11 Replies 11
John247
Level 1
Michigan, United States

If you'd rather not host them, just decline the reservation and let them know it's just not going to work out.
Jorge53
Level 2
New York, NY

Why loosing the reservation?  Just don't give anything to eat.  I don't think you can block a guest.  If you decline them, airbnb may be asking you why.  

Irene66
Level 1
Boston, MA

I had a guest who was a scam artist.  She stayed in my home for two weeks.  I checked in with her regularly to make sure everything was Ok.  She said everything was fine.  After leaving she wrote a letter to Airbnb complaining about the awful conditions.  She staged pictures with her clothes and dirty dishes strewn all over the room as if that is how the room looked.  She pulled up the seam binding on an comforter to find two frayed edges.  She ripped up a metal strip by the door saying she had cut her foot.  I gave her brand new linens on the bed and an extra set of new linens to change the bed when she was ready.  She denied I did any of those things.  She took a picture showing a yellowish stain on the bed sheets.  She wanted Airbnb to give her a refund.  They did give her a one night refund. I wrote her an honest review.  She objected.  In the review I posted her many emails saying everything was fine with her accommodations.  She complained to Airbnb about her review.  Airbnb deleted the entire review.

I have complained to Airbnb about this violation of hosts rights.  If Airbnb wants to delete her emails from the review that is fine with me.  But for Airbnb to delete the entire review which was completely honest is grossly unfair.  Some other host might get stuck with this scamming person .  I depend on the integrity and honesty of reviews to decide whether or not to entertain someone in my home.  To know that Airbnb can decide to delete negative reviews without talking to the host who wrote it makes me question the honesty and integrity of Airbnb.  Airbnb is placing hosts at risk by refusing to allow honest reviews.   I wonder what else Airbnb has deleted about potential guests?

Here is Airbnb's stated privacy policy.

"Genuine reviews are the cornerstone of our community.  By posting content on Airbnb, you agree to abide by these guidelines and other Airbnb policies. We reserve the right to remove content, in whole or part, that violates these guidelines.

"

They look out for number-one, period.

Ricardo71
Level 7
Miami, FL

I would just take them back, they obviously liked it at your place!   I don't always love my guests but  I am in the business of dealing with  people  of diverse backgrouds  and personalities and I win when I make it though the stay uneventfully,.   Think about it, this time around you even know what bagels to buy!

I think a valid point too is ...

If they want back,  their 'bad review' has no credibility as if your hospitality was so abhorent to them in the first place WHY did they return for a second helping? Mention something along those lines if something starts maybe.

Cheers.

Troy9
Level 6
Coburg, Australia

Is it not mandated in ABB's terms the host is expected to offer breakfast? Or is it really only a suggestion?

I'm sorry I feel for you. You don't potentially want a bad review if trouble is brewing.
I'm only recently new to ABB, but I'm guessing the Gluten-Free/Vegan/Veg options are a good candidate for the House Rules maybe?

Cheers,

@Troy9

Breakfast is not mandated it is a suggestion, it's up to you as a host whether to include it or not.

We do it old-school, I cook a full breakfast for our guests. I enjoy doing it & have had vegan, vegetarian & gluten-free guests. I always ask ahead of time so I can be prepared.  I've found them easy to accomodate.  Next month we have guests from Japan! That will teach me a few new things! 🙂

PS I do love bagels on occasion...many varieties, even Garlic, but that is a flavor that pretty bold for most folks.  Simple is better sometimes!

Happy hosting!

Jean-Pierre16
Level 1
Washington, DC

Hello,

In my opinion, it comes to two choices: either decline their request or accept it.

As a host you can decline a request and Airbnb is not going to come back asking you why (If you accept and later cancel the request, well that's a different story that will affect your standing). I myself have declined reservations requests in the past. One potential guest wanted to move half the furniture in the room and place it in my dining room so I respectfully declined the reservation request and that was the end of that. If you accept it, now you are the wiser of what they like or don't like to eat. If you accept it and still plan to give them breakfast, I suggest you contact them before their arrival asking them what they would like for breakfast. That way you are ready before they even arrive. Do remember that you have 24 hours to response to them either way or your response rate could be jeopardized.
Fiona2
Level 7
Pasadena, CA

I wish you could block people from your listing but am not aware of any way to do that. It seems like a feature Airbnb would add if there were enough people asking for it.

If you don't want to host them just decline.

I ask guests ahead of time if they have any requests for breakfast foods and if they do I stock it in. That's when you find out about gluten-free requests or cereals so specialized you need to mail order them.