host guarantee - does it cover property management companies?

Simon159
Level 1
Prague, Czech Republic

host guarantee - does it cover property management companies?

If I am the host of a property that I am not the owner of (eg I am doing it as a property management company for a client or eg helping a friend out) does airbnb's host guarantee cover these properties or only properties that I own (or have a valid rental contract for)?

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

My understanding is that the host guarantee covers the property.

However, certainly not something you and your clients should rely on.

I would suggest you make sure you and your clients have appropriate home insurance that cover short term lettings.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Does it cover anybody?

David
Rachael26
Level 10
Murphy, NC

@Simon159

This is a serious subject - and even more serious when you add in third party/management liability etc. (and I am assuming that your 'property management company' is a legit registered business - then you will also have your own public liability and property coverage insurance).

@Helen3 is absolutely correct - look to your clients insurance if you want to insure for 100% coverage. Any 'guarantee' from Airbnb comes with loads of communication to Airbnb, then providing comprehensive proof, recording, original receipts, before and after photographs and sometimes police reporting. And sometimes resulting in no recompense or only 10% of the claimed value.

Do not rely on it.

Your common sense and some preventative measures (no expensive or personal items in the property, comprehensive inventories, personal check-in and host presence etc.) will be your best insurance against problems, damage or theft - and even then it is not possible to prevent or protect everything all the time.

Best Wishes.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Propert Management Companies would not normally deal with a situation where the Booking service provided any sort of insurance or guarantee so best to assume that AirBnB is no different to any other situation and take as a bonus anything that could be recovered through AirBnb if the situation arises.

The major exposure for a Property Management Company would be covered by their Professional Indemnity Insurance.

I assume that in the contract the usual risks remain with the property owner, it would be up to the property owner to ensure adequate insurance.

David