how do I search for a type of airbnb, such as a house, loft, apartment

Jonathan45
Level 1
New York, NY

how do I search for a type of airbnb, such as a house, loft, apartment

how do I search and filter for a type of airbnb, such as a house, loft, apartment ?

16 Replies 16
Deidre0
Level 4
Christiansted, U.S. Virgin Islands

After you choose your area at the top of the page there are filters .  Choose filters its there.

Cecilia12
Level 1
Great Wakering, United Kingdom

You used to be able to search for type of property, i.e. windmill, house, tent, train, houseboat etc. I can't find that in the filters any more. Has it been removed or am I just not able to find it? I would really like people to have this option as I live on a houseboat and it would make it easier for people to find me! 🙂

You can still manually search by property type using the trick described here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/AirBnB/comments/5444h9/filter_on_property_type_gone/

Basically, you add type=_____ to the search parameters in the URL, where ____ is cabin, treehouse, boat, yurt, tipi, hostel, cave, adobe, planes, trains, automobiles, ...

Naomi29
Level 1
Australia

I agree, I can't search using property type anymore, it was there & now it's just gone. I wanted to show my husband a campervan we were looking to book, but now the property type search filter has disappeared from the mobile app & I can't remember where the van was located. It was my understanding that this is what makes Airbnb so unique! If you want to stay in a Yurt , tree house, train carriage, boat or a Teepee for that unique travel experience but now I can't search for that special property. must be hard for the hosts that joined Airbnb because of the hype about finding a unique property type on Airbnb. Does anyone know if it's being brought back in a future version?

Remember that Airbnb relies on users to classify their listing correctly.  Anyone who's ever dealt with user-submitted data will tell you that users will put in correct data occasionally.  You absolutely, 100%, cannot rely on them doing the right thing all the time.  You'll see lots of places listed under houses, for example, that aren't what most people would call houses (duplexes, houses chopped up into smaller units, whatever).  My guess is that they got enough complaints about people using search, and having search return the wrong things, that they just dropped the feature.

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Use Google to search for what you want on AirBnB.  Google is much better at finding what you want ... AirBnB's search is crap.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

I often look for houseboats, treehouses and things like that.  I stopped being able to find it and just thought maybe it was placed somewhere else.  I'm glad I cam to the forums and can see other people would like this feature to be returned.  I don't understand why it would be removed if airbnb is actually still allowing those types of listings.  It's a disservice to both host and guest.

Dan133
Level 1
Portsmouth, NH

has there been any update to this? I have been asking Airbnb (along with you all) for some time now. I miss the property type filter!

Oleg17
Level 1
Sölvesborg, Sweden

There is no solution for this, and AirBnb deliberately removed this feature. I have been in touch with their customer service, when they still mentioned property type filter on their help pages, but already removed it, the customer service is very bad, basically it does not exist, they reply through "community member", after a while a real support replied to me that they are going to report this "error" but can't promice the time when it will be fixed.

They not only removed property type but any sorting at all, so I have to browse through 300+ listings when I only want to rent houses, not apartments, etc. 

The trick described above does not work.

That is disgusting and simply discrespect for customers, AirBnb owners behave like an authority, that knows what is better for their users.  I am using HomeAway instead now when I can.

Fivos0
Level 2
Boston, MA

They seem to have removed the filter. However you can add it manually in your query (your browser's address bar) in text.

For example if you want to filter for RV listings only you can add: &type=rv

Example:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/San-Diego--CA--United-States/homes?checkin=2017-08-24&checkout=2017-08-26&g...

Ania21
Level 1
Cronulla, Australia

This trick works. Thanks a lot!

Hi Fivos, Where are you typing "&type=rv" ? I'm not sure how to enter it into the address bar along with my city of choice, dates etc. 

I would appreciate if you could explain it in a little more detail for us less experienced users! Thanks!!

Hello @James706,

To make sure that someone you reply to is notified of your response or question you should type "@" and then select their name from the list. Without this they may never see your message.

To find RV accommodation click on the "More filters" button. Then scroll to the "Property type" section and click on the "Show all property types" link. Then select the "Camper/RV" box and click the "Show homes" button.

If you want to use the "&type=rv", you add it to the end of the search URI in your browser's address bar.

For example, I searched for accommodation in San Diego California for the 12th to the 19th of March 2018 for two guests and got results showing all types of accommodation.

I then clicked in the address bar, used the cursor keys to move the cursor to the end and then just typed &type=rv. I then hit the return key. The results then changed to show RV accommodation.

The address bar then had the following. Note the &type=rv at the end.

https://www.airbnb.ie/s/San-Diego--CA--United-States/homes?place_id=ChIJSx6SrQ9T2YARed8V_f0hOg0&refi...

The address bar is the text area highlighted in blue at the top of the screenshot.

Screenshot (27).png

Steve.

@Steve143 Thank you so much for clarifying that I just had to simply add the"&type="at the end of the address bar text! Also for the @ to notify a person directly. It's my first time posting on this forum.

Cheers