how do you add taxes to the cost of rental?

Perri0
Level 1
Santa Rosa Beach, FL

how do you add taxes to the cost of rental?

I see some people list the tax - I would like to do that can someone tell me how that happens?

Perri

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Perri0 Airbnb collects the occupancy taxes only in certain areas.  Where they do not, us hosts have poor options to collect.  Here are the related articles: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/653/in-what-areas-is-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

I am required to pay it and I include it in my nightly price and then remit to the tax collector on a monthly basis.  It has the advantage of not hassling guests about it at check in or having to send a Special offer when they make an inquiry or collecting cash.

The downside is that the Airbnb fee is charge on those dollars I send to the county and inflates my nightly fee.  In a city near me only 40% of hosts pay the required TOT tax so I'm at a disadvantage. 

That said, I believe Airbnb is working on a solution for hosts like you and me.  I read in the new Terms of Service that there will be an "Opt-In" feature for having a separate line item for collecting taxes.  Can't say whether or when it will happen, but I think it will since so many hosts have complained about it. 

Sorry to be so long winded! Hope this helps!

I share same frustation as it bumps up the nightly rate and then don't want city questioning why I didn't collect tax on what they see as nightly rate.

I think they should add as separate item to be included, excluded as needed with each inquiry.

I added the Tax amount to the listing price add this to my welcome letter and my description

"Just so you know, the GETax (4.0% our local Sales tax) and the TATax (9.25% Transient Accomadation Tax) were included in the listing price."

I would never do the smart pricing. Airbnb set's my price sometimes at 98$  I get 148 everynight and i'm booked 100% most months. Set your price and stick to it.  You'll get it.  I do research every now and then about what others in my area are charging for, say, holiday times and then maybe charge more for those.  But i never lower it.  Then taxes are easy.  

Hope that helps

Geetha2
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I am a new host , just in the process of listing out my property. In the pricing, I do not see any option to add taxes or cleaning fees. Do I go to " manage listing" once the the property gets published and edit it ?

@Geetha2  You need to build it into your price or tell them in the listing, things to be acknowledged and house rules that it will be requesting the money after the fact. This is the best way as double taxation does not happen like when it's built into your rates. 

Geetha2
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

thanks

Melissa729
Level 1
Texas, United States

Does anyone have an update on when airbnb will add this functionality to add local tax % fee?

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Melissa729

Your taxes are allready charged to the guests by Airbnb (Accommodations Tax Texas). You can see it when simulating a booking on your own listing. Also they are listed in Transaction History pages

More:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/654/what-is-occupancy-tax--do-i-need-to-collect-or-pay-it

best regards,

Emiel

In Flagler county only the state tax is collected each host must collect 5% County Tax and pay it through your bank to the County every month.  We really need for airbnb to step up to the plate and add that function.  

Does anyone know when the city of  Boston added city taxes to rates?

I wonder why if it is so difficult to show taxes as a separate line in pricing, why is it that TA can do so with no difficulty?

Tristan145
Level 1
Columbus, OH

Airbnb continues to annoy me as one of the least user friendly platforms for hosts and guests . . .Why can't they just add an ability to add a line for Tax as % of the price? Just like we can set a price for the cleaning fee . . . 

Darin-And-Mary0
Level 1
Sevierville, TN

I opted out of airbnb collecting and remitting my taxes as they were not collecting the local, only regional, so this was getting very confusing.  So I now have them collect it, they send it to me, and I remit it.  Go to your listings page, (activate your professional host setting first), go to listing, local taxes and fees, custom tax collection, add a tax, tax type, type of charge, put in your business ID, and your accomodation tax registration Id, and then hit save.  I know... they don't make it easy but you can opt out.  If they aren't going to collect and remit the ENTIRE amount due everyone, I would just as soon do it myself to avoid confusion.